Do I have to sample?

lil_eazy

Do I have to sample to be a producer? cause I just can't seem to get the hang of it. Making my own beats just comes a lot more naturally to me. Any tips for someone who literally just started trying to sample? Because right now I'm pretty lost as to how to make it sound good :/ the problem is I really like the sound of sampled beats. Any pointers?

you do not need to do anything that you do not want to do - I don't sample in the modern production sense of the word, but that does not mean that I am not a producer - think of the word producer here meaning someone who creates a product like a farmer or some other business that creates real tangible things. Not every farmer has dairy cows or beef cows or or plants corn or taters or peas or beans or oranges - they are each specialities within the broad spectrum of farming.... same goes for making/producing music, pick a lane and get busy

think of the word producer here meaning someone who creates a product like a farmer or some other business that creates real tangible things. Not every farmer has dairy cows or beef cows or or plants corn or taters or peas or beans or oranges - they are each specialities within the broad spectrum of farming....

Picking up this analog, as it's a nice one. Each of those specialities requires knowledge of that exact speciality and how to make it productive. Getting that knowledge will not happen overnight and will require time put into studying and also seeing how what you picked up from studying works with the land you work with, what thrives in the soil.

First you should ask do you want to make sample-based music as bandcoach said.. If the answer is no just stick to what you prefer doing. If it is something you find interesting, start by reading the stickies here for answers to many common questions and keep practising. It will require practice.

You should probably make music you personally enjoy listening to. It makes things a lot easier.

If you are into sample-heavy music, than realize it's not an overnight thing. Just keep trying.

No, definitely not. Many different producers do different things, sampling is just one of them. I, for one, have always loved the sound of sampled beats, so I have just started to sample myself.

I would consider at least trying out the many cool possibilities of sampling your own sounds. There are many tricks to use and having a raw audio sample of that banging synth line in your track can really make for interesting chops and effects. That's how I sample, not using other people's sounds.

sample music is harder than doing your own style of music. YOU already are doing the hard part by being original. Try to download an mp3 of an old school song. use a program to slice/cut 15-30 seconds of the full mp3. save it. bring that 15-30 sec clip inside your daw (fruityloops,reason etc) then create drums first of your liken at any tempo. then insert the 15-30 sec sample.change tempo or pitch of sample to fit the drums.at this point experiment.

Back