Digital Digging - Why I Quit Sampling Vinyl...

Good article. I do agree with you with basically having the worlds music at your finger tips with the web, as I utilize to its max as well. But as for vinyl, its just the experience of it all that hooks me (The hunt, being part of history, striking gold)

Ill always have that soft spot for it.

You gotta do what you gotta do to make it work out...nobody except other beat heads actually cares where the sample came from

Thats if you live somewhere where you cant buy vinyls. Theres no record shop in my country but Im still gonna buy some vinyls from people who have collections when I buy my turntable. I wanna be a part of hip hop culture and digging on youtube can be boring..
Its up to you to decide..

Digging on youtube is boring as hell.
Not only that but ive heard theres alot of shit you cant find online.

I respect your pov and I think some of what you say makes a lot of sense but I have records that I literally could not find online with hours of searching for pay or otherwise. Idk I am not against digital digging as much as I used to be but at the same time I don't think I'll stop crate digging anytime soon.

it took a while for me to realize that.....

---------- Post added at 07:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:46 PM ----------

You gotta do what you gotta do to make it work out...nobody except other beat heads actually cares where the sample came from

it took me years to get over that.......

Without vinyl you would have a harder time making your own custom sound. Your own custom drum kits and especially finding the samples that speak to you (not just any sample off of the net). Do any sites that sell good drum kits (that aren't shady) even really exist? I know I'm asking a dumb question though I haven't done much digital digging. I never even use the term since I'm only using vinyl. I've seen a few blogs with free drum kits here and there. But nothing solid. Most of them you can't preview and using a drum kit that you didn't make won't get you the respect. I've only ever came across a few songs on youtube that I considered sampling though I always forget about it because I have so much vinyl.

Last edited:
I would love to pay people to find samples for me, I don't have the resources anymore because I've been living in the Philippines for the past three years

Without vinyl you would have a harder time making your own custom sound.

real instruments perhaps? Synths? I disagree that vinyl is the only way to get a custom sound especially when the sound coming from vinyl is just a replica of someone elses sound to start with. I love vinyl and have a ton of it and sample 99% of the time from vinyl but its not the only way to go. I go to vinyl for its sonic imprint that is hard to replicate with other tools.

I didn't bring that up because the chance of people using real instruments is slim. The people who do use them are usually better known established artists. I can only name a few artists in hip hop that a listen to that use real instruments and especially those who do it themselves.

Just because nobody else does it doesn't mean you cannot do it. Most people don't because they think its too hard. Most people don't have the hunger to get the results they need or even the ear to understand why E Digging may not be the way to go over Vinyl digging. E Digging is cool if you do not care about getting a certain sound. If you want the sound of vinyl then you should crate dig or like dude did buy someone else's vinyl rips or find good quality vinyl rips if you can. Most sample from vinyl because someone else told them to these days. You can create unique sounds that are your own with stock drum samples and some fx, micing a cheap drum kit with a cheap mic and processing it or even a high end one, learn how to program the 1,000 vsts a lot of these guys have in 2012 to create your own drum samples. The problem here is lack of desire to be unique they just want to keep being one of the million instead of one in a million.

I started out with guitar and bass before anything else. So I'm not stranger to instruments. I've got a nice yamaha electric piano & a few different types of guitars. I can sample my own sounds. I just haven't done it yet. I love vinyl though. Started out as a record collector before making any beats. Also digging for vinyl isn't just about the warm vinyl sound. It's also about getting a record for a dollar with some good samples and plenty of other things. It's been taking me awhile to save for hardware as I didn't want to mess with software much and still won't until I get a new laptop.

Last edited:
Cool. I had hardware. A good amount of it. Sold most of it went Reason. Life is better now I even have happy kittens playing in front of my house because of it lol

Back