Digital Digging - Why I Quit Sampling Vinyl...

I'd quit digital digging if we actually had any record shops here in Serbia.So far I've found one in Belgrade(4 hours where I live from)and there's nothing really rare in it, like no rare-ass spanish and french samples with ill pianos and horns lol.I only have about 10-20 45s but all of them are some retarded folk shit smh

Very good article - I've found myself E-Digging a little bit more but sometimes finding that gem yourself and getting your fingers dirty going through records is an addiction that can't be substituted through the net lol

That's why I go half and half - if I find something I don't already got online and its the quality I like then I use it - If I come across the record I'll buy it just for the collection

Most of the site that I submit beats for tv licensing placements to wont take beats with samples. There are some great sites out the link funk my soul. gr is great for e- create diggers and has a bunch of sites on its blog roll on the side that have great soul samples. How do people get placements with sample in the track I remember kanye talking about paying the fees for the sample on the blueprint with jay-z saying that it cost him more than he actually made

Doing both is definitely the way to go, theres decades and decades of vinyl out there, but you have to remember, theres thousands of producers out there who just release digitally, and of course the fact that vinyl recording is almost dead *to present day musicians*, theres definitely a valid reason to do both. I never lived close enough to a record store to really have quality digging time, but I know that as hard as it is to believe, you cant find EVERYTHING on the internet

Ive only been producing for a few months and I havent had the chance yet to sample vinyl. I started with simple loops in AudioMulch and moved up to FL. Im glad vinyl digging and edigging are both around. Having the option is incredible. DL'ing a song off youtube and being able to flip it in minutes is amazing. In a few weeks I will have my turntable and I'll start sampling from there. I got so many ill records I am ready to chop up. Thats what it comes down to: You use what sounds good. I took a bunch of my dads records and he has all these international music ones. I am for sure going to flip some of those. Have fun finding the sounds of kyoto online

I don't think I love vinyl as much as I love the memories I have digging for vinyl. Every technique has its place and I will absolutely go to my record collection if I want the sound/color of a record. There is still some music you can't find on the internet, especially shit you will only find on a 45...

But using iTunes to dig....

Yeah I fux wit dat.

BTW, if you can find Prophet & His Disciples - You Fool, You Fool on the internet....I will shake your hand.

are we talking a digital file, or vinyl?

For me... diggin in the crates was part of the progression as a musician. I love making my own sounds, using live instruments, etc. to recreate the essence of a sample. Chopping and flipping samples will always be a passion, however I like to explorer other ways of working and making music including flipping genres and songs that aren't available by DITC. Vinly will always be a way to stay inspired to recreate something though.

I think digging through crates and digging online are both essential. I say keep your options as open as you can.

I think it's pretty hard for someone who has built up a huge library of either format to switch to digging the other. For me anyway, though I do some vinyl digging for stuff I can't or wouldn't find online, I started digital and I think it makes sense to stay digital.

The nostalgia of digging is awesome. Its just time consuming. Change with the times or get left in the dust. There is more than one way to do things.

I like the old school way of vinyl sampling. Going to the record store with some friends, going through all the old records, it just feels better than sitting around a computer and listening to songs

Great article. I love vinyl and the vinyl sound. But I also love that I can spend a day digging digitally and end up with a gig of fresh samples in my folders where crate digging can take days, or even weeks, to reach a gig and then disguise the samples. Good stuff! Do what works for you!

Back