Digital Digging - Why I Quit Sampling Vinyl...

yo Kev, what's your setup aside from reason? i'm digging some of your drums by the way.

Thank you. Right now I am just using Reason and an Oxygen 49 with a shit ton of refills and vinyl. I've owned the Ensoniq EPS classic, I still have my Mpc 2000 classic though its broken and I haven't looked into fixing it. And I still have my Akai S3000 though I rarely use it. I've also owned a Korg M3R (Sold it for the vst version), a Korg Trinity rack, a roland XP 30, a roland alpha juno 2, and an Ensoniq ESQ-1. I've had other odds and ends for short periods of time like an SP 303 but these are the main guys that I used to use for years at a time. I've sold it all except for the mpc (which is broken) and s3000.

i feel u i jus sold all my vinyls bout 400 of them an inn the process of selling the eps and the s900 analog is good but clutter wise i dont need it anymore ... the digital era is taken over lil by little .. look at the mpc fly on a nother note.. even analog companies are moving to digital .. now u can buy mp3's of your fav vinyl off itunes an other sources..my main thang is fl studio point blank need nothing else..

Last edited by a moderator:
yeah u could youtube is a big motivater, u can digg depends where u start and what junar ur looking for.. break it down..

i feel u i jus sold all my vinyls bout 400 of them an inn the process of selling the eps and the s900 analog is good but clutter wise i dont need it anymore ... the digital era is taken over lil by little .. look at the mpc fly on a nother note.. even analog companies are moving to digital .. now u can buy mp3's of your fav vinyl off itunes an other sources..my main thang is fl studio point blank need nothing else..

Even though I getting tired of moving 3500 pieces of vinyl (when i moved from apartment to apartment), I will never stop using vinyl. I have a ton of digital albums that I have never even listened to. I like to put the needle on the vinyl and have the ability to skip around if need be. FL Studio is the truth and only thing I need/use for making tracks.

How did the mpc break? I'd go crazy if mine stopped working. I'd cop a 2500 or 5000, maybe a mv8800 if i could.

Silly mistake when upgrading ram. Did it on carpet not thinking and didn't really care enough to fix it. i mostly used it to sequence other gear. i don't really like mpcs as stand alone machines. i don't get the hype behind people saying they are the best samplers ever they really are not. They're great sequencers and drum machines but Ensoniq samplers as much more flexible and easy to chop on even if u cannot see the wave form

Today i sampled a new David Guetta song for the first time.
I found out sampling old Soul records is much easier for Hip-Hop than Dance since Dance compositions are so complicated.
I think its cause they use a lot of Arppregiators in it though. I mean i cant figure out the bassline from it.

---------- Post added at 09:25 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:24 AM ----------

Thats gonna be my new thing i think. sampling music from any era.

I don't think I love vinyl as much as I love the memories I have digging for vinyl. Every technique has its place and I will absolutely go to my record collection if I want the sound/color of a record. There is still some music you can't find on the internet, especially shit you will only find on a 45...

But using iTunes to dig....

Yeah I fux wit dat.

BTW, if you can find Prophet & His Disciples - You Fool, You Fool on the internet....I will shake your hand.

I dare You all, post the name of album and I'll find it on the net :-)

are you talking free dl or just on itunes/amazon ect? for free dl theres a lot of stuff. example Mamoru Miyagi Japan Revisited. Could not find that any where online with a ton of looking. I looked for like a month and had a few friends who followed japanese music who couldn't find it either. It has a ton of dope samples on it. I saw it once or twice on vinyl but no mp3 dls shit hardly even appears on google.

well, i have vinyls that where recorded from male choirs in churches in Apeldoorn from the 70's.
Im 99% sure it is nowhere on the internet.

I sold my MV-8800 when i was 19.
Im 23 now and havent sampled vinyl ever since.
even when i had the MV i sampled converted mp3's half of the times on it.

I remember a few months back I made a thread with an album I couldn't find more specifically a song that I cannot think of off the top of my head that I couldn't find a DL for I even came on here asking for help sold the beat exclusive and lost the original track out so I had to remake it. Only to find out that dude didn't care about the track out later lol. I did find the record on vinyl locally in about 30 minutes of digging.

Not everyone is sampling the same stuff man, that's where 'DIGGIN' comes in. I have no hate against e-digging (only towards those cats that are too 'lazy' to dig and have no respect for the art). If your location is whack and there is nowhere to crate dig, then by all means if you sample you're gonna have to e-dig. However, remember that vinyl has been here since the 1950's. So we're looking at ALMOST 5 decades of music catalog on vinyl worldwide (almost because we need to consider the fact that vinyl has only been the medium since say 1992). So like 4 decades of vinyl music. There's tons of shxt out there. Samples probably won't run out for the next how ever many years lol.

I just say at the least do both bro...

Vinyl has been around since the late 1800s. Vinyl as we know it was the 1920s which is why I always say there is some shit that just has not been cataloged. Also if there is no vinyl in your area cassettes and 8 tracks were around for a long while too though I don't know exactly how long. Cds came around in the 80s and became the main thing in the early 90s but yeah vinyl is the oldest form of music.

You what you have. I just roll around with my macbook in my bookbag and visit different libraries where ever i am. Most libraries have pretty extensive media sections that include cds of many different genres including musicals and movie soundtracks. I dont know if you aware but cds have some of the best quality that gives you room to do whatever with the songs you rip. I rip then load samples into virtual dj, pitch songs and them resample loops or one shots within the same free program then throw them into logic and/or battery. There a million libraries that contain free music you can listen to and not have to buy/rent as long as you stay in the building. #F***youtube

You what you have. I just roll around with my macbook in my bookbag and visit different libraries where ever i am. Most libraries have pretty extensive media sections that include cds of many different genres including musicals and movie soundtracks. I dont know if you aware but cds have some of the best quality that gives you room to do whatever with the songs you rip. I rip then load samples into virtual dj, pitch songs and them resample loops or one shots within the same free program then throw them into logic and/or battery. There a million libraries that contain free music you can listen to and not have to buy/rent as long as you stay in the building.

That's a good idea, I've never thought about digging at the library. I'll be back in Cali in March so I'm planning to get my dig on. Tired of e-crate digging..

if you found wht i posted helpful pleasse like the post THANKS IN ADVANCED PEOPLE ____ MUSIC POST COMING SOON____

I always copied CD's from the library when i was younger.
i thought around 2002 not all music was on the internet yet.
i used to have like 30 hiphop CD's between 2000-2006.
most of them where copies of CD's i got from the library.
i used to be a big Jay-Z fan. Jay had many albums. that was all i listened to and is still my favorite rapmusic till this day.

Really nice website Alkota, but let’s face it, the article was very short and didn’t really explore the subject in much detail.

I dig for wax because ****ing with vinyl is tactile and inspiring, but I don’t give a damn where my samples come from. If a cat farting into a microphone sounds dope, I’ll use it.

Back