Digging for rare CDs

King Spadez

This 99 cent store across the street from my spot is a goldmind! They have a rack full of old spanish CDs that have some decent drum and instrument samples in them. Theres also a mexican music store nearby that I need to check out too. Does anyone else have any hotspots for CDs or Vinyl?

yea man, the good ol' Salvation Army has a shitload library of vinyl, thats my first choice diggin spot. Then theres value village, then ofcourse Goodwill (every crate digger knows Goodwill lol), and could you imagine, that I found a box of records at someone's curb on garbage day, crazy neighbours lmao.

Years ago when i was starting out id go to the library and cop some random CDs to sample there and shit was free too.

When I first started sampling I'd go to the library and check out mad cd's. Burn em take em back next day, get more. Continue process.
Not really too much rare ish but I've never been too concerned about rare samples..

2 Blocks away is a Vinyl store from my place, lady used to sell all these Old soul and RnB albums like 50 Cents a Record, every since I started goin there, the ***** raised her prices LMAO still good prices tho and she lets me listen to dem before i buy so thats a plus

the terms rare and cd are kind of ironic imo. but im sure there are some rare cds out there if u look. as for using cds I do use them sometimes I just prefer vinyl. i have a cd turntable hooked up to my mixer so i can easily sample them into my sampler. And I have 1 hot spot for cds but i usually only go there for vinyl. if i want a cd 9 times outta 10 its cheaper to just buy it on ebay. Ebay has cds for like $1 in a lot of cases

Last edited:
the terms rare and cd are kind of ironic imo. but im sure there are some rare cds out there if u look.

Definitely tons of rare cds out there, who couldn't make a 100 copy cd release these days after all.. Thing is, that the music on them is mostly from the era after cds were introduced. Got some rare cds, mainly hip hop. Nothing that I would sample.

I personally wouldn't touch digitally remastered reissues on cd..

Last edited:
sampling digitally remastered material is like putting a pro tools session back into pro tools and wondering why it still sounds like it was processed in pro tools lol. thats partly why i cant understand why dudes sample things like Alicia keys and Joss stone or anything from the 2000s really. Its kinda lame to me to sample ish that came out 5 years ago lol

i think anything rare it would be amoeba wall they sell rare vinyls an cds , you can go to the orchestra section at amoeba an find really rare stuff that rarely any body gots , but u can pay up to 30 $ to 200-500- for one record one record there many rare ish u jus got to look

When I first started sampling I'd go to the library and check out mad cd's. Burn em take em back next day, get more. Continue process.
Not really too much rare ish but I've never been too concerned about rare samples..

Years ago when i was starting out id go to the library and cop some random CDs to sample there and shit was free too.

Wow I'm slacking! Theres a library down the street, I bet they have all kinds of music CDs from around the world. I don't know why I been sleeping on this. Thanks for reminding me.

Last edited:
Ya man, the library is where it's at.
I still go to my local library a few times a week to check out movies and the occasional book lol

Back