The Digging Advice Thread (great for beginner diggers)

Great thread here.. thanks to everyone who contributed. Right now I only e dig cause I'm just learning to sample (and I'm broke as fuuuuck) but I can't wait to get into vinyl

Good to see this thread alive. Seems like a lot of people are e-digging these days, which is cool too, but I highly recommend ya'll to start the actual vinyl digging if you got a turntable. There's no other feeling like buying a few random records you never heard of from a dollar bin. I've been sampling since early 2000 (both vinyl and e-diggin) and to me the problem with e-diggin is you're always looking for the best sample ever. internet is unlimited so it's easy to do so... Now, buying a few decent random records might get those creative juices flowing. You have to work with what you got.

I've found it is helpful to search the internet for musicians that specialize is a specific instrument. For example type in famous harp players and look at the wikipedia list. Then listen to as many as possible until you find a quality sample. Wikipedia can really serve you well for finding new artists.

i think the most common mistake is that people listen only to first like 30 seconds and give up on track. beginners should be looking for cool sounds through whole song

exactly! I love my friends but everytime I'm making beats with them it kills me to see how they listen those records. If nothing dope appears on the first 10 seconds, they drop the needle on the next song.... NO!

exactly! I love my friends but everytime I'm making beats with them it kills me to see how they listen those records. If nothing dope appears on the first 10 seconds, they drop the needle on the next song.... NO!
I can feel it bro! I hate when someone drops the record just because the beginning is wack.

Nice article from Your Local Musician. The caveat would be to remember that sampling and publishing/releasing without permission is illegal, and I would call what the article calls "Foley," in this case, just recording sound effects or ambient sound. Good tips though!

GJ

Back