The Digging Advice Thread (great for beginner diggers)

If I were you i would just dig online until i got a record player. By doing that you can build up a large list of artists and genres of music that you like to sample and already have a good idea of what you're looking for when you finally get to go to a real record store.

Thanks for the Logic man! I typically do the same but use GOOGLE to find out a bit of info on it before I spend my hard-earned buck. :) Good ideas all around!

Just adding my two cents:

I always go for those random, weird, unusual vinyls that look like everyone passed over. Something about having something no one else has. Even if they don't have anything useful on them, they are always worth the chuckle.

I thought I would make a thread for digging related advice, tips and just general sharing of digging knowledge and fun. Hopefully this thread will at least last a little while get some good convos going and help people out, especially newer diggers.

Some stuff I will throw out right away are probably some of the more obvious stuff.

When I first started digging the first place I went was my grandparents house. They have a decent selection ranging from rock(aren't some Pink Floyd albums worth money? IDK), to a good amount of Spanish stuff, some jazz, some folk and then a bunch of random records. Like I got an "African Marimba Music" record from them. Moral is, go to older family members and look through there records.

Venture out of the box. You don't have to dig all soul or whatever. Like I said, my grandparents had some folk and I copped a couple records from them. Folk is dope. I like it. Made some beats with it, and generally just like it for listening. Never would have thought I would like it.

If you travel somewhere, dig! You don't know what may be common in one area but rarer in yours.

And something that took me a while to figure out is: Just because a song is dope doesn't necessarily mean you will be able to flip, or should flip it.

Who else has something to say?

You say you've folk? :victory: That's awesome. I'm in San Antonio, TX where Tex-mex music is common. And it's all begotten from Folk music.
That interest with folk is something I share. It's mostly the flow and design of how the music is played (basically arrangement?).

Anyway, I've always wanted to dig but never started. Thanks for posting this thread to help get started with record digs!

Edit: Woops It actually comes form Polka!

Last edited:
Yo! I haven't read all the 27 sites, so i don't know if somebody already mentioned it... but GROOVESQUID is great! Downloads the songs mostly in 320kb/s...

In all honesty (and this coming from a seasoned digger since 1984) get your shit on YouTube. With the quality of videos going from 360p to 720p to 1080p to soon 4K? Man, I wish i didn't spend thousands of dollars on my record collection. It's great to show off my record collection but for me, moving from country to country, records add up on pounds and I have to pay big time to get them from point A to point B. Shit gets expensive!

Last edited:
Some great advice. If you are just starting out sometimes sampling other beats and going from there is a good way to learn your creative process and the other producer's creative process.

People tell you not to judge a book by its cover, but i always do that shit with records. Nine times to of Ten if the cover art inspires me I will find some heat on it

Thought it might be of interest to some of you guys, i've been using this app called 'Trackstack' recently and its been really wicked for discovering some new tunes. They position themselves as a digital crate digging tool for DJs and i've found some absolute gems using it. You can even alter what year you want to find tunes from obviously within a particular genre. You can then either buy records from discogs or Beatport through the app. Really interesting.

Check out here: Trackstack - Be Seamless

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/trackstack/id1021088020?mt=8

I agree. Looking through your own stash for records you bought awhile ago is key. Our ear and skill changes over time! Also, do not become too picky while digging. This could work against and make you lose the fun in it. Some records seem like thousands of producers have used but there may be a sound or way they didnt flip that you see! Happy digging

Back