The Digging Advice Thread (great for beginner diggers)

It's amazing how old records can really make people move if you sample with swagg... :)

sometimes oldies can make people groove in some parties even though there are lots of people who want's to look cool but they still can't resist jiving in with the music.

In Fact i download samples and i find good samples
but can we call this diggin'
its still sampling right ??

check the credits and features on songs you like, for example: michael shrieve appears courtesy of... he has albums of his own, or stanley clarke featuring dee dee bridgewater - look for dee dee bridgewater albums

this method is especially helpful for jazz...

---------- Post added at 08:36 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:54 AM ----------

Get to know the people working at the record store. If they see something come in that's your style, maybe they'll hold it for you before putting it out.

This! being friendly with the folks running the shop helps... i've had guys hold stuff they thought i would be interested in or give me better prices for stuff they knew i wanted because i was a regular and would talk to them about what i was looking for and stuff they thought was cool

Last edited:
dope thread!! good advices, never thought about goin to older people and look for music there

thanks for the info!

---------- Post added at 05:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:09 PM ----------

lovin this site man, true hip hop at it's finest

I got about 300 records, records are nice for hip hop coz of the old school vinyl vibe you get from them, but i also use sound flower and youtube to find nice samples, a good place for records is the charity shops, you will find really obscure records that you couldn't find in some shops. Like the 'scottish classics' album someone picked up for me :p

Yeah that was a good post

---------- Post added 06-04-2011 at 05:38 PM ---------- Previous post was 06-02-2011 at 08:14 PM ----------

OK I need some advice from my sensei diggers on here.

I'll see someone be like "I'm looking for such and such record from whoever"

How do you guys know you want it? Do you find stuff on the youtubes or blogs and you decide to get it? Do you have that persons other albums and are just trying to get there discography? Because some of you will say I want this, or I need this for this break, etc.. And I'm just like "The hell?"

For me personally, yeah a lot of times that's what it is find an artist i like try to get a good chunk of the discography. back in the days records used to have inserts advertising other artists on the label or older records by the same artists and i use those from time to time to search for stuff
wikipedia is pretty good for looking up a musician's history too...

This is a great thread.

Im not even 1 month into producing, and I've hit up flea markets in my area for vinyl. You find a mix of tracks here and there, and can usually cop them at a great dollar.

I go to a record store or a flea market, the record stores have good records, but you may find some nice records at the flea market plus it's cheap.

This is such a dope thread. I recently copped me about 40 records from a garage sale for only $20. A little bit of Haggling and a guy desperate to get it off his hands can go a long way :D. Lol. All I need to do now is stop being lazy and get me a nice USB Turntable to actually sample these babies.

My Advice...

Think about what you need in your collection. Do you want lots of drum samples or are you (like me) happy to chop up some old breaks loops you got in a zip file online?
Do you have (and do you need) a good selection of instrumental records with pianos, guitars, vocals, etc?

What level of twisting do you do? If you mince things up beyond all recognition, you’ll probably get away with sampling pretty much anything. You will also need way less records in your collection, in terms of variety and number.

On the other hand, if you like using loops wholesale, you will probably want to get some obscure shit if you don’t wanna be sued or called out.

What is unique about your sound? If you don’t know yet, then it’s time to start defining your sound. Get more selective about your sample sources. I sample a lot of choir hymns, it’s just part of my style.

Learn about all instruments. It’s not good enough just to know the difference between a hat and a ride. Get into some worldy stuff. Japanese, Russian, Romanian, etc.

Finally: Chopping up soul records into beats or bars and swapping bits about now and then .... don’t do this.

To those talking about getting at garage sales and flea markets, I gotta say in my experience this is the best way to go. Generally speaking, at those venues, the bigger the name the more expensive the album..plus they cater to their crowd which is usually not a hip-hop crowd. So while that Sinatra or Paul Anka album is selling for $10, that Roberta Flack or Muddy Waters one is 50 cents...

Record stores, on the other hand, can be more savvy and much more aware of the demand for specific sounds...of course that depends what city you are in, but where I am at (Ottawa) I have still yet to find a Dramatics record for less than $10..

Back