The Digging Advice Thread (great for beginner diggers)

Yeah, its whack. Another reason I want to move

man and I dont even live in the Seattle city limits I am in the seattle area about half an hour south and once I hit Seattle there are even more record stores. and ihavent even gotten onto the thrift stores. you need to move to seattle lol

i find an artist that has dope loops i like and check out there catalog ... then look up artists similar ... thats working pretty well for thnx to amazon.com n shut

man and I dont even live in the Seattle city limits I am in the seattle area about half an hour south and once I hit Seattle there are even more record stores. and ihavent even gotten onto the thrift stores. you need to move to seattle lol

Thats crazy man. But, yeah I wanna move to Seattle or Portland. It'd be nice.

Personally, I don't like buying records from artists or bands that I really don't know, 'cause I've bought some unworthy records in the beginning of my diggin' adventure. Now when I'm in a record store I use their turntables to check the vinyls or I take mine pt-01 to be sure that I won't buy anything that I do not want to ;) Also I've hit a spot once with my friend who had a netbook with him, so it was easy to check the records online, which is a quite comfortable way of digging ;) Have you ever bought records through the internet?

Personally, I don't like buying records from artists or bands that I really don't know, 'cause I've bought some unworthy records in the beginning of my diggin' adventure. Now when I'm in a record store I use their turntables to check the vinyls or I take mine pt-01 to be sure that I won't buy anything that I do not want to ;) Also I've hit a spot once with my friend who had a netbook with him, so it was easy to check the records online, which is a quite comfortable way of digging ;) Have you ever bought records through the internet?

I buy records on ebay all the time

I dont sample often at all really, but when i do, i never know what im looking for to begin with. Normally, ill go through my dads vinyls, pick a random artist, and punch him/her into youtube. Listen to some, then just start clicking around related videos and whatnot. Eventually, ill come to something i like, having no idea how i got there in the first place or what i clicked to end up on it haha

Interesting spin on the digging adventures thread. I am going to change the title to The Digging Advice thread and sticky it

---------- Post added at 09:40 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:31 AM ----------

My second piece of advice is be picky about samples. When you are making beats you are creating part of your legacy. The sound of your records is the sound that people will remember you for when you die if you are fortunate enough to have a large fanbase. Think if J Dilla just sampled every open 2 bar loop he could find rather than finding dope ones to chop up.

that's really profound. it sounds obvious but i never thought of it that way.

---------- Post added at 05:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:48 PM ----------

If anybody's in the LA area and interested, i've got about 200 records i need to get rid of. Message me and there yours for free.

good thread,some good pointers in here,recently started digging myself in the past couple of months n got about 50 so far!

about 30-40 or so i didnt really get to chose since i found a place down here that packages about 15-20 for $15 or so but either way goin home with a 15 pack of vinyl to do some hunting on is too good of a feeling!

Im from South Australia in a place called Adelaide,couple places closed down which i was told was good for diggin but that was before i even got into the whole vinyl thing. There's about 3 shops i know of in my town right now..1's a hip hop store the others are just places i randomly found that happen to be randomly selling some..so yeh not too bad!

yo i see a lot of heads who dig for only certain sounds. i say keep it open and try something new once and a while!! go back through your records again and again you may find different sounds depending on how you feel that day! Peace

this thread is very helpful. when i started 8 months ago i would just listen to last.fm for stuff i thought was ill
ive been looking for a decent turntable but just dont know what makes one quality so ive been using CDs lately

I'll sample anything that sounds reasonably sick, but I usually start digging through and listening to all of my favorite punk bands. Seeing what I use.

I think when it comes to crate diggin...most producers wanna get that "sound" that is authentic and nobody has...the problem with that is someone already did or have that sample..but its up to you to flip it...I also find that going to other genres of music helps find new sounds that you would not normally put with hip hop...alot of new wave or punk 70s and 8os music is actually great..if you know who your looking for...once you determine the artist...the sound comes natural.

Back