The Digging Advice Thread (great for beginner diggers)

I definitely have bought records purely off the cover art...you find some real crazy stuff when doing this. Plus you have a nice little art piece as well.

I definitely have bought records purely off the cover art...you find some real crazy stuff when doing this. Plus you have a nice little art piece as well.

I bought a record last night at an antique store, just because it had the same name as that madvillain track "Rhinstone cowboy"
It was an album by glen cambell called rhinstone cowboy. as far as I listened, it wasnt a very good buy. im gonig to have to look through it again tonight just to make sure

GREAT ****IN TRACK MAN!!

I went to the record store saturday and bought purely off of art(spent maybe 10 bucks 10 records)....however it wasn't my usual store and I think it is heavy metal (not my sound at all) hopefully I can chop and speed/slow down the sample and get somethign cool...crazy artwork though.

Could anyone possibly provide me with a short list of the best spots to dig for soul, hip hop and jazz in and around London or even southern England. Thanks.

What's your guy's diggin' years limit or it doesn't matter? I say at least 10 years from the current year to date for me. All in all…to each is own.

What's your guy's diggin' years limit or it doesn't matter? I say at least 10 years from the current year to date for me. All in all…to each is own.
I don't think it matters personally man. There's alot of talented artists in the Indie scene, and I chopped up a song that came out like 3 or 4 years ago.

To me personally I sample (try to sample) nothing that came out after 1982. And 82 is the max though basic limit is 78 especially for funk and soul. All vinyl in my collection after 82 is for personal use and listening pleasure. It's just another limitation that keeps me creative and add's to the sound I want.

But like you said, to each his own.

I like the part where you say "When you are making beats you are creating part of your legacy" That's great advice. I'm new to digging so I could use all the advice I can get!

Beginners look for the deepest looking vinyl covers this doesn't always work but I would have picked out the cortex album if I saw that in a record store... If you don't know about the cortex album go and search it up madlib made it famous, tyler, wiz, rick ross, and mf doom carried it on

What a great thread. I'm from NYC and I don't know anything about records but I know there are a decent number of shops here. I just started getting into music production but this thread alone makes me want to go out and start digging.

However, should I even hit up shops if I don't have a record player? Is it worth buying one from those stores or should I rely on the ones online?

Last edited:
Back