**Digging adventures - post what you get**

Website is dope as well

We should actually hook up on some digging trips some weekend. I am in Des Moines, IA and know of a few spots in Chicago, but could use some guidance. There are some good spots between here and there too that we could hit.

Hell ya, I'm down. PM me and we can figure something out

---------- Post added at 10:46 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:43 AM ----------

*EDIT* Just saw that Falconaries joint..Is that the down right FUNKY album I've heard about?

I've got the funky worm on a K-Tel compilation!
cheap way to get some good breaks on vinyl.
I sampled it and combined it with some turkish folk music for the hell of it - http://www.fengland.org/music.php (turkish worm) - bunch of my other stuff there too.

This isn't really a dig, but my J Dilla "Donut Shop" 2 LP record finally came in today :D Posted below is a picture of the actual record, along with one of two donut slipmats, and a picture of one of two Stones Throw stickers that comes with the purchase that I put on my Mpc.

Some shit I got from Goodwill yesterday.

Records-06-26-10.jpg

Records-06-26-101.jpg

attachment.php

found a new spot with dollar bins lining the walls and stacked up in corners
only had a chance to look through a few, but I'm gonna go back when I have more time.
Here's a few I picked up

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone here using a portable when they go dig? or are you just buying based off liner notes and credits?

No portable. I just go off the label, year and artists involved.

I spend more time researching music than anything, so that has helped me tremendously. Also, having friends who have been diggin for a long time helps.

Some shit I got from Goodwill yesterday.

Records-06-26-10.jpg

Records-06-26-101.jpg
whats with the rainbows n shit? u tryin to say something lol j/p I love that Roberta Flack though its a great listen not much for samples though. Ive had that George Benson for years and never listened to it though

---------- Post added at 12:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:02 PM ----------

Few things I got this morning

newrecords.jpg
you be finding some of the wildest records.

---------- Post added at 12:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:03 PM ----------

Anyone here using a portable when they go dig? or are you just buying based off liner notes and credits?
i tend to buy things that I know have breaks on them that were used by other artists or just random 70s records. If I know the artist I definitely jump on it but more often than not I am taking a chance on each record. Well unless i know info on the record. If I have any questions about it I hit wikipedia from my blackberry. Niggas in the record store be lookin at me crazy too.

whats with the rainbows n shit? u tryin to say something lol j/p I love that Roberta Flack though its a great listen not much for samples though. Ive had that George Benson for years and never listened to it though

lol

Man, that's Ferrante and Teicher. Amazing pianists. Cover is mad homo though lol. I agree with the Roberta Flack, great for listening. I'm actually listening to that George Benson record right now. It is very dope, very smooth jazz. Listen to that shit!

this dude be havin pause moments in the record store. lookin in the crates like I know this is a my little pony record with pink puppies on it but damn that bassline is so ill I need it lol

Yeah, no portable - just look for crazy covers or people I know, the year... smartphone sounds useful. I definitely get home with some stuff and I'm like, what the hell was I thinking getting this - other stuff looks kind of wack and turns out to be awesome.

I have been using a portable for years. I will spend days in stores now just listening to every record from A to Z.. sometimes it gets really old, depends on the store. But other times it is totally worth it. My collection has been streamlined into only things I will listen to and sample. No more spending $100 to come away with $20 of records I will actually keep.

I do on occassion dig without the portable though. If nothing else, all the listening has also helped me zero in on exactly what I am looking for. I still have pretty good luck anymore. A lot of digging this week. I'll update with photos.

are most shopkeepers kewl with using a portable? I thought about getting one of those sesame street record players to go digging with.

I haven't been in a store where anyone had a problem with it.

Using it doesn't necessarily take any of the excitement out of it. I still get to find great stuff. But it does remove the disappointment as I am not sitting at home with stacks of trashy records.

are most shopkeepers kewl with using a portable? I thought about getting one of those sesame street record players to go digging with.

I've been wanting to get one of those just to put on my coffee table in the living room LOL.

I've never been to a spot where they don't allow a portable. I have heard on other forums people having issues with owners though.

attachment.php

My new spot is working out really well. Some new stuff I got from the dollar bin.

Back