diggin' for samples

EBE725

i've been sitting here digging through some records for quite some time now, and i have found absolutely nothing that i like/ can work with. it's like i have writer's block. does this happen to anyone else or just me? it's like one day i can find a nice sample in one minute and another day it takes hours. how long does it take you guys to find a sample that you like?

i don't think there are too many records in the world u can't find something from... if u are looking for loops then digging can be hard yes... but sometimes u have to create your own loops... long ago when i started making beats i used to hate the old songs where the artist would start talking before the loop was over but i learned to take a piece of loop from the beginning of the song, the middle, the end, etc... u can always find something, it's just how much patience do u have...

Well I will admit this does happen to me sometime, right now i am going threw it, but i found what is best is to just stay at it, maybe you will start wit some crazy ish and just save it and come back to it later. You might want to do something to it later.

the cratediggin process can take usually 30 min (tops!)...getting a sample should take 15 mins (no lie)....my way is I sit and read a magazine while listening to the music or samples in the background ...being a visionary with your music is no different than being a visionary in life. THE EARS...ARE KEY to getting the best fluid sample sound next to how you EQ,COMPRESSION,OR APPLY REVERB.

eccentric1 said:
the cratediggin process can take usually 30 min (tops!)...getting a sample should take 15 mins (no lie)....my way is I sit and read a magazine while listening to the music or samples in the background ...being a visionary with your music is no different than being a visionary in life. THE EARS...ARE KEY to getting the best fluid sample sound next to how you EQ,COMPRESSION,OR APPLY REVERB.

Visionary can also be forgetting how long it takes you to dig, and instead of just chopping anything, you dig deep into your thoughts (not a mag..unless it's '50+' or something else that inspires you). So what if you make 50 beats in 50 minutes? that's cool and might accidentally make some dope beats, but don't be afraid to try something totally different. Like..see if you can spend like a week making a beat.:D It might be harder than you think to be original. But you'll appreciate that jam and may be something you're more proud of.

Man it sounds like you just in a funk. Don't matter about your record choices. Sometimes it just be like that. Get around another producer. Sometimes hearing someone else givews you some ideas to apply to your own style, or just flat out makes you step up your game.

Gee-Whiz said:
Man it sounds like you just in a funk. Don't matter about your record choices. Sometimes it just be like that. Get around another producer. Sometimes hearing someone else givews you some ideas to apply to your own style, or just flat out makes you step up your game.

As far as digging, I'm a record nut I could spend a damn week in a record store (if my girl would let me HA!!!). I got at least 30 samples that I got in mind that I haven't even touched yet.

Last edited:
GET BETTER...seriously im currently sampling records that i turned down many times before jus cuz i know how to execute me ideas better.

i happens, but you'll probably go back to those records in a week and be like, I like that right there. I don't have that problem, my collection is fine

i done read all yall stuff and forgot wha i was gone say.. lol but umm.. im in that process too.. i cant find a good sample to save my life!! but i noticed back in da past all my best tracks (sampled joints) came from samples that jumped out at me.. like i wasnt even lookin for the sample too hard.. i see that thats what im doing now, im searchin for em, instead of just takin it easy and listenin.. get the feel of the whole song, like the groove of it the (mood) .. some songs have like 7 different moods in them.. but usually those kinds.. the loops step out and u can catch em.. just take it easy all i can say, and let it flow..

just replay everthang that the artist is talkin singin rappin whatever and the clearing will be cheaper or u might not have to because it may sound diff.

Back