Diggin

Drums4thugz

What are your methods for diggin? This isn't really about tips or anything, but more of an insight to what your methods are for selecting certain records.

I've been doing ALOT of digging in the last couple of weeks, and generally when I do go out digging I buy in bulk. Other mates I know go out everyday and just grab one or two things, but when I'm in a record store.....I'm in a zone.
Usually I start in the funk/soul section and look at each record, if I already have it in my collection (which is starting to become harder to remember) il move on - unless I want a double for DJn. My knowledge of artists and labels has evolved over the years, so il check the back and scan for certain musicians/instruments/recording date.
Sometimes I've found gems from unknowns, and that's one of the greatest thing about diggin, infact I might go digging to grab stuff from artists I've never heard of.
Eventually il move onto the jazz section, again my knowledge has evolved from experience (artists/labels/dates/instruments). Jazz can be hit and miss at times, I lean more towards jazz funk, psyc jazz, contemporary, Latin or bosa nova these days.
Finally il float around random 60s/70s pop/rock.

I used to just dig for hip hop, but it was hip hop that led me to jazz/funk/soul/etc.

Anyway that's my insight into a typical diggin scenario, what are some of your methods?

Back