A Different Way of Sampling, Including A Challenge to You :)

BenjyBeats

So I work with a lot of different producers, hear a lot of different things. Sampling is fundamental if you ask me, but it seems that there are different ways of sampling and different ideas. Some have said to me that if you sample an old record, you should try to maintain the original essence of the sample and maintain the integrity of the original art. However, with some other producers I know (myself included), there is more of a free form kind of mindset, where samples can and should be rearranged, effects applied, and distorted in a way to build an original sound from borrowed samples. I am curious to hear other producers' takes on this concept, all feedback is appreciated. Peace & Love.

Also, a friendly challenge to see if you can make something more versatile than I did this out of a sample, which in this beat is Lonnie Liston Smith - Aspirations :)

soundcloud.com/benjybeats

Personally, I like to sample by listening to the music and feeling it out first. Sometimes I keep everything original and chop/loop it up, sometimes I process it heavily to get a different feeling. It all depends on what the music tells me to do. I'll see about flipping ya joint fam, check out my soundcloud if you get a chance. soundcloud.com/kyngmuzikprod

In my honest opinion, sampling has two categories.

Sound design and Sampling.

Sampling being keeping the sample relatively unscathed and doing safer stuff while sound design is just turning it into something else entirely.
While sampling has it's limitations compared to some forms of synthesis it is a nifty little thing to be able to do either which way.

Ok this is just one mans opinion but the only shit I dislike is when someone just takes an 8 bar loop, with no rearranging whatsoever, puts a kick, snare and some hats over it and calls it their 'art' or declares it to be fire. There are some lazy ass sob's who do that shit where I live and it annoys the bejesus out of me. If you rearrange, effect it, do SOMETHING with it, maybe add some of your own sounds? A bassline? A nice counter-melody? Something that makes it new, something new and original then its ll good. Just my two cents.

It Boils down to weather you enjoy chopping or you don't enjoy chopping. some people don't see the fun in going through a sample looking for individual sounds. But if you find 8 bars you like and would sound good with a beat. do it! its all about interpretation
I Personally love the thrill of the chop! breaking something down and building it back up to a totally different sound, is in my opinion the most fun thing about sampling.

I use both approaches. I think the loop sample beats will need something really special added to it, i.e. an hot Artist or additional Sounds!!! Could not view the sample challenge!

Peace

Personally, I think we as producers and beat makers have to stay new, fresh, current, and most importantly unique. Carving out your own little space in the masses of beat makers is def a challenge so when I approach a sample to use, I like chopping, adding effects, etc to keep it somewhat my own. Of course, some fire has def been created by staying more true to original composition, but for me part of the allure of sample choppin, and crate diggin is hearing something and saying..."I think I can make this better." Just my thoughts..Peace!

I use both approaches. I think the loop sample beats will need something really special added to it, i.e. an hot Artist or additional Sounds!!! Could not view the sample challenge!

Peace

peace & love bro. i do as well. the sample is lonnie liston smith - aspirations. the video above is the beat i made.

I've only done the chop method cause I never really understood tempo alignment/time stretching or the concept of bars till later. At that point though, I felt I would lose creativity if I went the bar/loop route. I would just chop the bar up and play it back. To me there's more versatility. However, to me sampling is sampling as long as it sounds good and something to vibe too. That's all that matters to me. Some of my stuff (especially my old stuff) stayed close to the original sample, but now I have a new love for digging for the underlying sound not on the surface of a sample.

The more music theory is learned the easier it will be to put up with sampling period.
Knowing what's in a sample etc and the fundamentals make such a thing bearable to say the least.

when producers can take a record and manipulate it to the point where its nothing like the original material, that's awesome

I like to chop, add reverbs to it, add effects to it, and a baseline. I just can't do a 8 bar continuously sample loop. Too boring for me..

can anyone link me to instructional videos talking about the different types of sampling styles like the

chopping it up in many pieces

and

the bar looping style?

Back