Dialogue Samples

DeJunky

I've noticed in a lot of lofi style music many producers will use a vintage sounding audio clip of some dialogue. I'm simply wondering where they get these samples from.

Thanks for the replies. I was doing some searching last night and found a great bank of vocal one shots. I'm sure some of you have heard of Splice. It's only $8 a month but they have some very high quality samples.

It's fairly easy to find samples. You can take a vcr and use an audio capture device (there are many different kinds with different types of inputs) for a vcr you would need a capture (ad convertor) with rca inputs. Go to the pawn shop and buy some cult classic movies, find a peice of dialogue you like and record it into your computer ! It's that simple. If you want to make a high quality sample sound lo-fi, there are many types of freeware VST plug-ins that create such effects. Just search lo-fi vst. Here's a good site (I can't post links yet til I have over 5 replies so you'll have to copy and paste) vcalcavecchia9.wixsite.com/rockin-depth I have tons of VSTs and tons of audio samples that are all freeware and free to use. No malware. Good luck !! P.S. (dont forget to add the http)

Last edited:
It's fairly easy to find samples. You can take a vcr and use an audio capture device (there are many different kinds with different types of inputs) for a vcr you would need a capture (ad convertor) with rca inputs. Go to the pawn shop and buy some cult classic movies, find a peice of dialogue you like and record it into your computer ! It's that simple. If you want to make a high quality sample sound lo-fi, there are many types of freeware VST plug-ins that create such effects. Just search lo-fi vst. Here's a good site (I can't post links yet til I have over 5 replies so you'll have to copy and paste) vcalcavecchia9.wixsite.com/rockin-depth I have tons of VSTs and tons of audio samples that are all freeware and free to use. No malware. Good luck !! P.S. (dont forget to add the http)

RCA cables for the win!

Lol, from vintage sources.. There's tonnes of old footage and films on the internet, and a lot of it is public domain so you can do with it what you want.
Youtube and plain old Google are great for this..

I generally take them wildly out of context.. Like one of my recent tracks has a sample saying 'it gets dark', sounding all spooky but I actually cut it from an old coffee commercial.
Got some cool foley percussion-type sounds of it too. It's a fun way to sample, you get to hear and see some really surreal stuff and bring that inspiration/vibe along when you work with them.
Grabbing samples like these pre-made from a pack, because they sound cool really isn't the same though.. it'll always sound cheesy,
like you need the sample to say something that your track can't communicate... artistically, that's not very strong. Like if you don't watch old movies, why have a sample from them?
Especially if you don't even know what movie it's from.

One of the issues that can pop up with sampling movie dialog is it can have a lot more layers of copyright bullshit than music.

Back