Dangermouse - Allure

FreeWilley

I know the whole Grey Album story so I realize that nothing was properly cleared, but would you have to get a one shot sample like the one in Dangermouse's Allure cleared? The only reason why I know what the sample is from is cause I read up on it, but if I didn't know the sample, I could have listened to Dear Prudence by the Beatles all day and not have realized that was the song he sampled...So I mean if he decided to use that beat on an album, would he have to go through all the trouble and costs to clear it even though it's so tough to tell the original sample? And damn, do you think Jay-Z would have been pissed when he heard Dangers version? I mean that **** is soooo much hotter than the original by the Neptunes.

If ANYBODY can tell, then yeah they have to pay. But the whole game is about trying to sneak 'em past, so yeah they don't all get caught by a long shot. Puffy just RECENTLY paid for a fairly recognizable Ohio Players sample that was on Biggie's FIRST record..what is it 10 years later now? The sample owners still have to find you and make you pay etc. and that can be work as well.

Stick it to the man!:)

Problem with major artists like the Beatles, is that someone somewhere will definitely recognise the samples. Still, I heard DM got signed by Sony (?) after they told him to stop pressing anymore records. So it seems to have worked for him. And yes, he'd have to clear his samples.

Back