Contains a sample vs contains elements vs this song embodies a portion of...

bigakizzle

bout ta come fo it bitces
whats the difference here guys? like if you read the credits sometimes it will say contain samples...and some songs will say contains elements...also, i see this with jermaine dupri alot, it will say this song embodies a portion of bla bla bla...i have been confused on this for years...anybody know anything?

so if it all means it contains a sample...why dont they just write that...how come they make distinctions...between the sample, the embodiement and containing elements..there's got to be some kind of difference

its no difference
I do the same thing

its just boring to write the same thing all the time

although sometimes it may not be the orgninal recording used, it could be a 're-composition'. But still, its all the same thing.

Last edited:
ok...so lets say that i want to take a part of a song and put it in my song...like a vocal part...of a rap...if i sampled it off the original song, id have to cite it as a sample right? ok lets say I take the same phrase and say it myself...like i take the original track and rap along to it...then drop the original track and just have my voice...where i sound the same as the person who i was rappin along with but their work is no longer anywhere around...would i have to cite that as a sample, or embodiment or recomposition or would i have to even cite it at all seings how its my voice...and im not talkin bout a whole rap, just a little prhase of the song...

doesnt an element mean just the guitar or just the vocals etc?

bigakizzle said:
ok...so lets say that i want to take a part of a song and put it in my song...like a vocal part...of a rap...if i sampled it off the original song, id have to cite it as a sample right? ok lets say I take the same phrase and say it myself...like i take the original track and rap along to it...then drop the original track and just have my voice...where i sound the same as the person who i was rappin along with but their work is no longer anywhere around...would i have to cite that as a sample, or embodiment or recomposition or would i have to even cite it at all seings how its my voice...and im not talkin bout a whole rap, just a little prhase of the song...

If you sampled, you cite the sample (element, excerpt, or whatever you wanna call it)
if you say it yourself then its no problem -- far as I know. lol
Planning on doing that myself (not gonna say what song, cause I dont want somebody to go do it before I do :p lol)

Bud Bunner said:
doesnt an element mean just the guitar or just the vocals etc?

Thats a sample. Its all the same.

yeah...i wanna do the same..thats why im askin...but i wasnt to clear...theres got to be something to it..i mean for example...i couldnt just spit a jay z verse on my sh it and not pay cuz its my voice right? at what point does citing the work become necessary

If it's your composed version of someone else's song like Dre does you write contains elements or embodies port of that song. Also if you sing a vocal melody word for word or change a couple of words like Noreaga's Superstar...in that Pharrell sings the chorus like Blondie's Rapture song but changes the words, you also write contains or embodies elements of that song. I think if you also sample a cover of an original song you write the same thing. Dre sampled a cover of Isaac Hayes Bumpy's Lament for XXplosive on Chronic 2001, not the actual Isaac Hayes version.
A sample is blatantly sampled so you write contains a sample of...
did that make sense?

philly_smalls said:
IDre sampled a cover of Isaac Hayes Bumpy's Lament for XXplosive on Chronic 2001, not the actual Isaac Hayes version.

i think he remade it himself, i dont think he sampled a cover

you may be right. I wasn't a hundred percent sure but I have heard the cover version and it sounds almost exactly like what Dre used and also what Erykah Badu used on the song Bag Lady.

Yeah but the Erykah Badu version had "interpolated elements of Xxplosive" or something, thats what the inside of the cover said at least

Interpolation or "replayed elements" refers to playing parts of a song yourself/having a studio musician play it. Like Dre will be making a beat and tells his bassist to play the bassline from a P Funk song. Boom, interpolation. A sample, obviously, is a sample. I've never seen that "embodies" terminology used.

yeah...it does make a lot of sense...the whole embodies a portion of thing i see on a lot of jermaine dupri stuff...but i get it...so if you gone replay a melody, u still got to pay, if you take a sample you definetly gotta pay and if you gone take some of the words be prepared to pay...
thanks yall

sample- self explanatory

replayed elements- self explanatory

reinterpolation- it was replayed, but they might of switched some notes up or something

embodiment- might be the same notes played with different instruments.

Back