Common Drum and Bass Percussion Samples?!

Suprarick

Hey guys,

I'm starting to produce some drum and bass and have noticed my drum loops being..well..a bit empty. I've noticed alot of drum and bass has alot of stuff going on regarding loops. I want to build my own loops using samples but am not sure what samples I should start with besides the kick drum, snare(s), and some panned hi-hats. I want to stay away from just taking a loop that's already made. I don't know what other instruments I should add...maybe shakers...but what are some other good percussion instruments to use in Drum and Bass?

Thanks.

P.S. I'm using mostly Vengeance for the samples for now. I can't find much online regarding resources from drum and bass and am totally open to any links you all may have.

Last edited:
You can add any percussion sound you want, really. Bongos, congas, shakers. It all depends on the sub-genre you're doing.

I have this track I've worked to a remix context, where I put a pretty good conga loop, with some phaser fx. It added a pretty good feel to the drums!

My advice is to really get a loop, and work from there. Look here: Freesound.org - Freesound.org for some loops, but keep in mind that most of them weren't made with drum and bass in mind, so you'll basically need to make the tempo of the loop match the tempo of the song (174bpm?)

The most common Drum and Bass percussion samples come from deconstructing the Amen break.

Yes and no. The amen break is the foundation of dnb drum lines, with all it's ghost hits, but it's, as you said, for the most basic form of dnb drums. I believe the big names nowadays don't even use the "original" amen break anymore.

Back