Cleaning up the noise and tails of drum loops and then some... I really need help

Red_Orb

Hi guys,

I was using a drum loop I chopped up in a beat earlier today... I ended up quitting on the project cause the I couldn't get the drums the way i wanted them. I wanna go back and and remake it with the same loop but i wanna know how exactly do you get rid of that noise on a drum loop between hits?
I've tried using a Gate and it gets rid of most of the noise but there are some bits that go beyond the threshold so you can still hear a bit right around the same time the drums hit.

Are there any extra steps like specific EQ settings and such that usually help you guys out with this problem? Oh yeah while we're on this topic, I have a question about parallel compression on my drums. I've been watching tutorials and everybody has something different to say about it. I just wanna know though, should you have a fast or slow attack on your compressed signal and what ratio do you guys recommend I use? I've tried doing it at 1:4.1 but I'm not entirely sure it's the best way to go about it. I've also messed around with multiband compression and making a return track that all my drums go through and I found that it basically just leaves me with much to be desired. basically I want my kicks to knock but have a little shine... just a little though, my snares need to be crisp(if that makes sense). Thank you in advance man

Back