Clean kicks?

V

Vyrix

Hello everybody,

This is my first post on this forum btw, i would like to learn how some producers get their kick to sound so clean (without any noise or clipping -especially in high end-).

Examples for that would be:

Virtual Riot - Carrier (around 1:30)
Zomboy - Terror Squad
Au5 - Blossom

Can't post links. -_-

I tried lots of things like multiband compression, frequency splitting and so on, nothing worked for me so i tried to synthesize kicks but they just turned out to sound bad and noisy in the high end again.

I would appreciate any help because i have been working on a kick for over twenty hours and it still sounds like garbage! :(

Kicks can be hard to get right when sculpting your own.
I suggest looking for DETAILED tutorials on "making kick drums" on youtube, and watch more than one -
I watch a lot of tutorials, even if i already know how to do what they are teaching.
You never know when you might get one little nugget of important NEW information that helps open things up for you or gives you great new ideas.

For me, when sculpting kick drums - i try to keep in mind the 2 main elements of a good kick -
the bottom end part (or sub)
and the top transient part (or the click)

be sure your top transient has no frequencies below 200hz (you can filter them out) and that your sub is not overdriven (eq to taste)

the sub part is usually made from a sine wave with a pitch envelope

and the top transient can be made from hi-hats or any number of interesting sounds that have a good punch/click/transient (even by taking an existing kick sample that you like and filtering out the frequencies below 200hz).

a little bit of compression at the end can glue it all together.
Sometimes I make 5+ kick sounds before i get one that i really like and want to use - EXPERIMENTATION is KEY!

Hope any of that helps.
:)
JUNEBUG

Back