"Choppy" chops.. Is this a style?

FrankTheAnvil

So I've just been getting back into working on music after taking some years off. I've always been into sample based hiphop since that's what I grew up with (born in '83). Anyway, I've been browsing through the flip this section and I've been hearing a lot of tracks where the chops are extremely obvious, meaning there's space after the chop before it goes into the next one. So it sounds "choppy" for lack of a better word. I'm just wondering if this is a new style or something because I've always been used to trying to make the chops run together smooth. If its a style I'd be interested in anyone's suggestions for some (relatively well known) producers I could check out who are using it so I can expand my horizons a bit. Thanks.

Honestly bro, I really don't think that is the style, but its really hard to gauge because sampled hip hop in general has died out, if it ain't trap it aint being played. I've also hated hearing obvious chops because it just seems lazy or forced

I actually like the obvious edits/incidental looping with evidence of noise/clicks/artifacts. It can sound pretty dope IMO when it's done right.
I'm a hiphop head first, but DNB has some super dope beats where the "choppy" edits are apparent, but it works and sounds great when it's done right.

My brother and I have been implementing this style of sampling since we first began making beats on very rudimentary hardware (and software...freakin windows soundplayer lol)

I wouldn't say it's a new style but at least in underground hiphop, it has always been popular. You can take a sample and just by editing the parameters, can come up with a rhythmically pleasing loop that can be resampled and applied to anything, these days.

I would encourage you to press forward with this idea. Some of the roughest sample editing sounds way better than clean cut stuff in my opinion. It's easy to cut stuff clean and simply rearrange it...while I think it takes a little more abstract thought process to implement the idea you are talking about.:cheers:

Yeah, some of the flips sounded pretty dope the way they were chopped like that. Thats why I was wondering. It's definitely possible that I've heard tracks like that before but I guess I'm so used to hearing someone rhyme over it that I could have missed it. DNB is one genre I never got into mainly because of lack of exposure. I think my ex was into that "scene" but she was out of it by the time we started dating so never really got to listen to it. Something new to listen to. Thanks.

I wouldn't say it's the style, cuz it's definitely not, but there are people who do this. Black Milk used to do this a lot, and I dug it. It all depends on the listener or the creator. It's a style for sure, but I don't hear it being predominantly done or anything. If you fuck with it, do it. - Dé Von

its really hard to gauge because sampled hip hop in general has died out, if it ain't trap it aint being played.

Trap ain't hip hop... It came out of hip hop for sure; but hip hop definitely still lives here!

As far as hip hop not being played... Played by who? Radio works in a similar way to politics. Labels send pluggers in to create playlists with radio executives in the same way that corporate industries send lobbyists to MPs/Senators/Politicians/Law-makers to create (or modify/amend) new laws.
Main reasons the major labels push synth based (as opposed to sample based) music right now is to keep costs down... They just don't wanna pay for clearance of the sample.

Trap is what they're feeding you - they're even making sure that the majority of its content lacks any form social commentary - and Lord forbid that it demand the listener even think about taking any form of direct action. It's not hip hop.

That style been around since the golden era, though the chops were well placed. Mathematics did a lot of distant chops on his early albums and what kept it together were the sonic impact of the drums, so in between chops, your ears were filled kicks or snares.

People need to stop thinking radio dictates Hip Hop, its just a program on the air and thats what they do; they program your way of thinking. Just because one song is played 30 times per day don't mean its a hit and people are buying it but you think it does and thus, a new sucker is born. Trap does nothing for Hip Hop but degrade yourselves as human being. All those rappers are just company products on the shelves and dress and live accordingly to the labels standard, they not from the street nor care what goes on. Those big cars and homes are rented out by the labels to draw out the image but watch these rappers 4 to 5 years from now working at a Walmart.

Back