Chopping vs Looping (here's what I think you should do)

beatarama

Chopping vs Looping

i think too many producers are trying to chop a lot these days and then it just doesnt sound right. (onyl some can really get chopping right)

i think finding a good loop sample with good drums beats any chopped up sample beat.

check this beat that has a classic sound using just a sample loop and drums...(the drums are chopped in slicex tho lol but still sick)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQCryfkWdl4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQCryfkWdl4

ive seen producers say looping is lazy but its all about what sounds good at the end of the day and usually a loop sounds better.

Last edited:
Common misconception, anything can be done.
Looping or?Nah. And.
And is the magic word these days :O

[Good track btw]

ahh true...ya i think if you can master both then all good...but i just find that lotta producers are forcing themselves to chop before even mastering loop beats...but ya you're right And is the magic word...

Common misconception, anything can be done.
Looping or?Nah. And.
And is the magic word these days :O

[Good track btw]

Most producers limit themselves in the wrong areas imo.
Looping is a part of the chopping process in a sampler like slicex[One of my absolute favorites] and there are many as good.[wavepad/goldwave/audacity/recycle] as well.

Looping regions is synonymous with chopping. Sampling is exactly like synthesis except a sampler's oscillator can't generate it's own waveforms usually.

Last edited:
I agree with you to some degree. I Like when producers chop a song up and make it sound like a loop. I just don't like when a song is chopped up and it sounds so blatant when its chopped up.

well, it's going to mostly depend upon your source material.
If you have something that is changing time or does not line up with the rhythm/time with your drums or whatever, then yeah, you're likely to chop it in order to force it to your timeline. Perhaps editing further to smooth everything out and refine it.

You might encounter pieces of music where a loop can sound dope over your drums, but i think a lot of people chop it anyway so that they can rearrange the pieces and the rhythm during later progressions, instead of having a static loop play repeatedly throughout the track. I know what you mean though. I see a lot of people automatically cutting everything into say 16th notes then play it over a drum track and it sounds like garbage because they dont put the work in to refine it and smooth/edit the pieces.

I also think a lot of people chop it into pieces as habit, working quickly.

There is something to be heard of letting some pieces of music play freely over your drums, because it will create a unique groove. Sometimes, sparse cuts that are not on time with your composition can allow some extra space on either side of each chop to create some interesting grooves. Same thing with drums...allowing some extra space at the beginning or end of the sampled breaks you are chopping can make some pretty dope swing elements that cannot be implemented in other ways (in my experience).

Well i pretty much always chopp it. Its the fun part for me. Let my drums play and jam and edit the chopps over it till i find something thats sounds good to me.
You got something new out of it, flip it in ways no man has flipped before...

Back