Chopping samples manually vs auto chop. Does everyone auto chop these days?

Xabiton

Cupcake God
No hate towards auto chop but I always found that I got more interesting parts doing it manually and chopping sounds or 1 shot samples from songs and putting them together into a beat rather than chopping a 4 bar loop into 16 even parts ect. I am curious if anyone has any insight on the advantages to using auto chop creatively?

I don't ever auto chop. On Maschine I don't think I ever even tried and now that I'm back on FL it doesn't ever get any good chops.

I do most things manually because I can do a better job of it than the computer.

The one thing that might be interesting for you to try with auto chop, is to put different samples on left and right channels, say an acapella on the left and a sample with corresponding transients on the right, that way you can chop the acapella based on a sound you tapped in with your keyboard, tap in a sound for every word etc, then ditch the right channel.

Last edited:
I never use autochop. I've been chopping it manually from the beginning. I can do it quickly and I can make the cuts more precise and perfect. F' Autochop, Yep I said it. :D

Sometimes you can get cool sounds with autochopping. I always chop the sample my self, but sometimes I'll autochop the same loop I'm already chopping manually and compare, or use each for different parts of the song.

With either one though, you can always go into the chop and adjust when necessary.

Auto chop can help spark some ideas, sure. I would rather go in and set my chops manually to have the most control. I like playing the sample on my pads or keyboard while moving the start and end points personally, more organic process.

when i cant come up with the chops i want, or my idea is fading i go to the last resort an that is to auto chop that helps spark creativity u know if worst comes to worst , but i mainly chop in bars it has its advantages or i chop in detail to get them small peices ..

I use auto chop to get a rough estimate of what I like and then I manually adjust everything to fit my liking.

Most people who use auto chop would probably use it because it's quicker to generate lots of slices automatically than to create each one manually with the mouse, they would still end up doing the important shit (shifting the slices) manually anyway, unless they want junk slices and their kick drums cut in half.

i've never auto chopped before
i usually listen to the whole sample a couple times and create something in my head and grab the parts I need and a few extra just for the hell of it

I used auto chop (random, 1-2 second intervals) when I first started out. That helped me a lot because I learned how to make a beat using samples that were so short and off beat that you had to chop it some more. Now I manually chop samples from 1 to 4 bars, and chop some more.

Last edited:
Iv only just moved up from sampling loops to chopping, but when i chop i find sounds that i like manually and chop them, rather then letting the program decide what sounds hot

I wonder how many people reject auto chop but still use beat detection that works off the same shit.

Another thing I remembered, MIDI notes generated by auto chop software can be used to apply effects etc to the corresponding transients kind of like automation.

Auto chop on mashine is doooooope....it makes things so much easier...you still have to do the dirty work but its nice to have the song choped up on the pads as an easy way to navigate around the wav file

i always do both and decide what's better to use. two comparisions are always better, but most i stick with the manual way

I never have used auto chop, probably never will. Takes ALL of the fun out of it, I think. If these sounds are to be YOUR new creation, shouldn't you put just a little bit of extra time and care in to make them yours?

Last edited:
Back