Chopping samples in FL Studio Edison

StanleySteamer

Hey guys this is a question about chopping samples in fl studio edison as it says in the title. I was wondering if you guys always use the detect beats region to show markers of where beats begin and end? When I use it I normally do get my markers to be in the right spot and chop the sample right out of the edison, but then other times it starts it off in weird places that I feel like maybe I should just do manually myself? Feedback always appreciated

I never tried going that route, I chop it manually. What I do is toss the sample in Edison then usually find a good section to chop and set my start and ending points, after that I turn on the loop button and play it back while correcting the same start and ending points until I have a loop that plays flawlessly. When I have a good loop I just drag it straight out of Edison and put it in whatever sampler I'm using in FL and make some extra changes within the sampler. I repeat the process if I need extra chops, sometimes 2 bar chops sometimes 4 bar chops, etc. But the main thing for me is having those chops looping correctly so that I don't have problems with timing later.

Another idea is to find the BPM of your sample, set it in Edison properties, send it to your audio clip and then just stretch the tempo to your choosing and then you can chop away from there. I find that sometimes this helps a ton. Just play around with the settings there's loads of ways to do the same thing more or less

I never tried going that route, I chop it manually. What I do is toss the sample in Edison then usually find a good section to chop and set my start and ending points, after that I turn on the loop button and play it back while correcting the same start and ending points until I have a loop that plays flawlessly.
That's EXACTLY the same thing I do too. When you get that loop to be flawless, you just become happy haha

Yeah, one thing I forgot to mention is that after I chop the sample I will usually adjust the sample to the beat tempo, after you load the sample in one of the built in samplers in FL (I usually go with the granulizer), I go to the sample tab (SMP), right click the 'time stretch' knob and set it to however fast or slow I want the sample to play. I then set the stretching method to 'Auto' (next to the 'Time' knob), peep the picture.

Capture.JPG

I usually chop samples myself. You'll get better results like mostly all the time. What i do is i chop it on the 1 and 2 count. Meaning usually i start off chopping from the kick to the snare and then if it a soulful type a song i want words or vocals to appear up like 9th wonder beat. i then chop and marker the voices but if it doesn't sound right with the instruments behind the voice i leave it alone.

Back