Chopping Question + Pete Rock Video

X

xplicityoungin

wassup every1

watch this first https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQWxrWSsI2k

I want to know how pete rock chops his samples up. i know he chop's 'em up in little peices, but i'm not sure if he chopps 'em up in 16 peices per bar, or 32 peices per bar... and after that wat does he do on the 2KXL to the sample so it would stay on beat when he changes the tempo? to help you understand wat i'm saying make sure u watch the video

THANKS IN ADVANCE

Last edited by a moderator:
guy, what pete rock does in there is insane. I still can't figure out how he does it. How he chops the sample is nothing special, a pad per quarter bar; 4 pads per bar of sample. What is so nuts tho is how he says he doesnt time stretch anything. I can't figure out how he does it becuase the way i do my beats is chop everything really small and then timestretch em all to the same length so it sounds good. If you can figure out how to get away with not timestretching, post it up here cuase im sure its not just myself who is stumped by this.

Peace, the way it is done without time stretching, is you listen very carefully to the song. Most cases when you hear a sample you basically know what you are going to do to it and how the drums will play. Say it's an 8 bar loop but instead of doing it as a loop you chop it. See for me now I use to chop in the MPC now I chop in Recycle it's so much better and you can see better in bold what you are choppin. Then I send that back to the MPC each chop in Wav. from the one to the last bar you leave as " POLY ON' in the MPC. From beginning of each tap on the pad You should be at every hit point until you reach the last of the 8th bar. Cut your ends so they run right into the next chop and so on. This takes a lot of practice and once you get it it's over. I hope I was able to explain, it's best to see it.

He takes a drum or melody loop. Detects note for note and then runs each note thru a sepreate pad. He then plays it one single instrument at a time. Look closely, he just goes pad to pad. Once he's done, the sample is playing note for note, so If you speed it up or slow the tempo it has the same effect as changing the tempo on a keyboard beat. Very simple, I hope I explained it clear.

Last edited:
deRaNged 4 Phuk'dup said:
He takes a drum or melody loop. Detects note for note and then runs each note thru a sepreate pad. He then plays it one single instrument at a time. Look closely, he just goes pad to pad. Once he's done, the sample is playing note for note, so If you speed it up or slow the tempo it has the same effect as changing the tempo on a keyboard beat. Very simple, I hope I explained it clear.

Yep, simple simple.

rhyming prophecies i do have my own style, but the way he chops samples up doesnt seem easier, but more effective and i wanted to know how he did it. Anyways thanks every1 for all the help, i appreciate it.

peace

pete rock is still on time! dudes like mainboi don't know in the evolutionary process of life-"hip hop" sh*t comes back around just ask just blaze.....just ask...9th.....just ask...AYATOLLAH....JUST ASK..madlib...dangermouse....JAYDEE...and many more who can at least know the difference between what's hot right now - like "dem snap fingers mainboiz......v.s what will always be hot " i guess like those who can read/compose & have longer discographies/versatility than them products of the real ministrel show

Da Noc and Deranged broke it down perfectly but for all the ordinary cats he's taking the notes that land on the "1" and he's also taking the "and 1's" and sequencing them all together. of course having that dope loop like he does is what makes it work. the cool thing he can play the notes in the correct order, which he does at first and then he plays them in a different order to create another break it's actually fun as hell but it's not as easy. it takes a little while to chop a sample that takes up all 16 of your pads. Like i also said it helps if the loop is dope, it does'nt work with every loop. just use your best judgement

rhyming prophecies said:
find your own style man and pete rock aint that amazing
Oh and by the way anybody who thinks Pete Rock aint on point needs to be urinated on and ran over with an ice cream truck:D

Last edited by a moderator:
so when youre saying that he chops it up note from note like "1" "anda" "2" "anda" "3" etc etc, do you mean that he chops up a 1 bar loop in 8 pieces then? or could you just rephrase your answer again cause it soudns intersteing!

nessie1.jpg

A photo of the elusive Time-Stretching :D

deRaNged 4 Phuk'dup said:

Yeah.

Pete Rock is amazing. But that chopping technique is not amazing, or some wizardry.

It's just plain problem-solving.

he doesn't chop bars, he chops each note. Like with drumloops he'd chop them so that sample 1 was a the kick, sample two was the hi hat, smaple 3 snare, ect. Or with a guitar melody he'd chop each guitar lick and link it to a seperate pad. That's called "Note Detection" or "Beat Detection" I beleive, lol I got an MPC, but haven't chopped samples on it in like 2 years, I could be confusing it with another program, i'll check later and confirm.

rhyming prophecies said:
find your own style man and pete rock aint that amazing

Somebody throw some holy water on this mother****er.

loopster said:
Da Noc and Deranged broke it down perfectly but for all the ordinary cats he's taking the notes that land on the "1" and he's also taking the "and 1's" and sequencing them all together. of course having that dope loop like he does is what makes it work. the cool thing he can play the notes in the correct order, which he does at first and then he plays them in a different order to create another break it's actually fun as hell but it's not as easy. it takes a little while to chop a sample that takes up all 16 of your pads. Like i also said it helps if the loop is dope, it does'nt work with every loop. just use your best judgement

Oh and by the way anybody who thinks Pete Rock aint on point needs to be urinated on and ran over with an ice cream truck:D
pff loopster atfu u fukin cream ass

could some1 please explain what loopster said in another way about pete rocks technique! please, cause it sounds interesteing but i didnt get it all!

Back