Chop it down!!!

TDOT

What up FP!!

I'm just getting into sampling now and looking for tips.
I use Maschine and when I get my sample I have the option to chop it auto into 16 slices or manually chop it myself.
What's best?
When I use auto I find that I can't make anything out of it because some parts may be in the slice but I don't want it, but may need it later.
What do you guys do?

I use Maschine too, I've never tried the auto-chop function though. I like being able to skim through the record and find my own chops, although I'm sure one day I'll try out the auto-chop. I just prefer to manually chop as I feel it gives me WAY more control over my chops.

Respect on that, yea yesterday I tried to chop the beat up myself where I felt I wanted it but when u chop it urself the lenghts of each chop will be different...so then how to use those different size chops to fit the bpm and a 4 bar or even one bar pattern.
Do you use ur chops and make a 4 bar loop or a bar loop? or is it different everytime?

They say also if you use auto chop across 16 pads you can replay the beat back at ur own tempo whih I don't find is the case...

I prefer to chop manually, myself. It allows for better control over how you want your chops to sound. Plus, it's a lot more fun and better practice than simply pressing the autochop button!

What up FP!!

I'm just getting into sampling now and looking for tips.
I use Maschine and when I get my sample I have the option to chop it auto into 16 slices or manually chop it myself.
What's best?
When I use auto I find that I can't make anything out of it because some parts may be in the slice but I don't want it, but may need it later.
What do you guys do?

Best is what works for you

I always end up manually chopping even when you use autochop you're going go be adjusting things

i use fl and i auto chop just to get some markers in edison. most of the time i just have to make small alterations unless its jazz or something.

I use a 2000xl, and how I usually start is by finding a part of a record that loops perfectly for either 4, 8 or 16 bars of music. Than once I have it looping perfectly, I check and see what the BPM is of the loop. Then If the loop doesn't fit into a perfect tempo number(121.2) for example. I transpose the entire loop down to an even number, when I find the key that I like for the song to be in (I do that by making sure the first note matches up to a specific note that I want to play on a piano) Then I chop the sample into 16 slices. If you start the sample perfectly on a kick or a snare, then it should chop perfectly, allowing one to press each pad in any order as long as it's on tempo, and the timing will fit nice and perfect when you are playing it back to a click.

-Ill Alien

Back