Cant afford 1200s, what's best to do sampling with?

Eswerve

I know that the 1200's are "standard" when it comes to djing and the most used for sampling setups, but even the used one's are outof my price range. I want to add at least one turntable and a decent mixer to sample with, what features should I look for in the turntable and the mixer?

man, you can use ANY kinda of turntable and mixer they all do the same job pretty much as long as your not trying to scratch. I picked up my turntable and amp (i dont even use a dj mixer) at a pawn shop for less then 150$ for both and no one can tell the difference in terms of equipment when listening to my beat compared to somone using a 1200.

yeah.. if you'll just be sampling, you could even cop a belt drive. A while back I seen a stanton one on sale at Guitar center for only $10.

RickySaL said:
for sampling the needle is more important than the turntable.
i agree.. a radio shack tt will get the job done.. for a dusty warm sound, use an old stylus.....

hey i got a better idea... get one of shortest friends to spin at about 90 bmp and just buy a needle.... i used to sample like that.. but my friend kept tryin to take breaks so i bought a table...

Or you could just use Adobe Audition 2.0 to chop out samples you want...To keep that vinyl sound though..just about any table w/ or w/o a mixer would work.

Xabiton said:
You will want a direct drive table after a while especially if u are not a fan of time stretch

i'm probably coming off as ignorant... but why what does a direct drive turntable have? becuase i'm kinda new to buying hardware... and i was gonna buy the direct drive tt1650 ****, but dude in sam ash recomended me the usb one instead

Direct drive is if you want to scratch, but you can get away with belt drive if you're just sampling and don't plan to scratch.

RickySaL said:
Direct drive is if you want to scratch, but you can get away with belt drive if you're just sampling and don't plan to scratch.
direct drive also keeps a more steady tempo on the table itself. Belts stretch and lose consistancy because of this ur belts should be changed every 3 months or so, belts also break even if ur not scratching. If you are looking for a long term investment in a turntable the best way to go is direct. Most of the time they aren't much more than $50 extra anyway and the investment is well worth it.

Back