Can you guys give me a few records/ songs to sample please? (HIP HOP & R&B)

Kevin Jeanpaul

Can you guys suggest a few old school tracks for me to sample so I can make a hip hop beat I don't know too many oldies because I'm a kid and I don't know where to start anything soulful sounding would be nice thanks

sure, check out stuff from James Brown, can get some good drum break specifically from the song Funky Drummer.
The Winstons - Amen Brother also has a very famous drum break

I'm drawing a blank on anything else at the moment, but I know there are threads in this forum where people asked the exact same question, if you just do a search bud.

Most (good) hiphop drew a lot of inspiration from soul, funk, jazz and R&B (when it was R&B). I'm sure my nostalgia is palpable.

there's resources online where you can look at all the records that people have sampled though. Kind of cheating, but it's a good resource for learning and understanding where others looked to for inspiration...and why not utilize the tools we have? one website is called whosampledit or something like that.

You might be surprised how many of the songs you love were not original compositions...like Ace of Base songs,,,haha, only kidding.

Last edited:
Your best bet is to check out the Flip This! section, like jyri said, tons of samples to choose from if you haven't checked it out yet.

Back