Can you give me some samples i can practice with?

First of all, everyone hears music differently and interprets it differently. I would start by picking a favorite beat of yours (one that has samples than can easily be looked up on the internet too) and listening to the sampled works, picking out the different samples you can hear. That can kind've of give you an idea to how that particular person is hearing it. I personally never got into trying to remake a beat, but if your heart so desires it, that could be good practice.

Personally, I would listen to somone like 9th Wonder's work. His beats are real "beaty" beats if you catch my drift. Mostly one particular song just cut up to perfection. I would stay away from somone like Flying Lotus or RJD2s work, too much mish-mashing and multiple sample sources.

As far as practice, man you gotta decide what kind've beats you're lookin at making first. If you like jazz, go find some jazz and toy with it. If you like soul, go for soul. Finding out who some of your favorite producers sampled is always a great start.

Go to your local record store and go diggin or go on youtube and download shit. Everyone has a different ear for samples, that's what differentiates beatmakers from each other. Something you think is bad can good to another beat maker, and vice versa.

Back