Can I do sampling with Keyboard?

Not a stupid question if you don't understand the capabilities of MIDI and your DAW.
The answer is yes, you can. You can also playing piano on a drum machine.
each key on your keyboard corresponds to a certain note. All you have to do is open up a virtual sampler and map out the keys you'd like to use for it.
You could also use something like SliceX in FL studio.
what DAW do you use?

Last edited:
Yes in fact most of the original hardware samplers were keyboards as the technique as designed as a way of reproducing piano patches so stage performers didn't have to bring multiple pianos on stage to get a variety of sounds during a live performance

^^^ That makes a ton of sense. Now that I think about it...Nasir do you have a MIDI keyboard or an actual synth/sampler of sorts?

BrokenScyth Ill buy a KeyRig 49 MIDI keyboard that comes with Ableton Live :) I think its a pretty good deal. Thats why I wanna know can I do sampling with keyboard and I saw on youtube sampling with keyboard and it looks good.

Well sounds like youve set your eyes on some gear. Just remember that its not about the tools when it comes to Production in the first stages. Its about you and your will to learn. Good luck!

You would be doing sampling with Live. The midi keyboard is simply a way to control it/trigger samples.

Yes you can.
i love sampling with a keyboard as a matter of fact. Since the keyboard is so large, you can have a massive amount of chops. I sometimes just randomly chop my samples across the whole keyboard and see if anything nice pops up! :)

Just curious what type of ideas and things you do with sampling keyboards. The most exciting idea I've come up with is blending nature sounds/ airplanes/ ambient noises etc.. with synth patches.

Also, laying a pretty vocal over 61 sets of keys sounds pretty cool too.

BUT... I wouldn't know. Never done it.

I'm looking into the Kurzweil PC361, but AM interested in the PC3K.

Loos like well over a $1200 difference in price between the two. I'm wondering how much I would miss having a sampler... ?? Or if there are ideas of what you can do with keyboard sampling I'm overlooking.

What do you do?

Eh I think a keyboard that samples is a little bit overboard.

Whatever samples I want, I get pretty easily either by youtube, recording directly off of the TV, computer etc..

I'd rather have a microphone and mixer, you'd be way less limited with that and not have to lug around a big ass keyboard.

yeh most daws are capable of sampling to your midi keyboard, if not all of them.
battery is quite a decent one to use as a vst for other daws.

Back