Can I

IamStan

Grab anyone of my parents vinyls and surely find something to sample from it? Rock bands? What do I sample? Getting lyrics with drums and guitar in the mix kind of ruins being able to make your own soundtrack over it doesn't it? I'm so confused on how and what to sample from any type of vinyl. Surely there is at least 1 thing in each vinyl that someone can use out in the world right?

This is opinion based but I'd say there is absolutely no guarantee that you can find a sample on your parents records. You might be able to or you might not. On the same token though someone else might hear the same song and sample it yet another would skim over it. In my experience you can't force a beat on a sample you don't really want to use.
Also for me at least, rock bands are hard to sample because as you said you cant really sample it if there are vocals and drums throughout the whole song.

If you are new to sampling in general then I'd suggest you go to the 'Flip this' section of these forums because people post samples with their flips pretty much everyday. Then that way you can see what people have sampled and how they have done it. Then you can try and flip the sample yourself and listen back to theirs if you get stuck.

Back