can anyone ID ANY damu the fudgemunk samples?

IJMcG

Specifically the ones from his Spare Time/Overtime albums, his beats are so dope I wanna know where he's gettin all these ill samples from

Don't tell me to get my own style and quit bitin either, i got my own style i'm just tryin to find some dope new stuff to sample

1st. you like damu, good man.

2nd. asking for samples is cool. it's nice to hear how producers flip sequencers (from the ones i have heard he does some pretty solid work...main thing is pitching down samples.). but the difference here is that you are asking for a relativly new undeground indie artist. and as you may know sampling without permission or without sampling fees is by all intents an purposes illegal. i doubt damu has paid hose fees. who are new have the money available to give the sampling fees.
if some people say this out loud, then it wont be long before it goes through the grapevine to somone who will take action. yahsemme?

remember this is a forum and i'm sure if you searched in google anything along the lines of fudgemunk, samples, id, damu etc. FP will come in the search

this is why the-breaks.com dont publish any un-santioned samples.

3rd. he has some very rare records. mostly jazz/latin/soul i have found 3 on youtube which are in the related list about 3 videos in. so look there.

bless

1st. you like damu, good man.

2nd. asking for samples is cool. it's nice to hear how producers flip sequencers (from the ones i have heard he does some pretty solid work...main thing is pitching down samples.). but the difference here is that you are asking for a relativly new undeground indie artist. and as you may know sampling without permission or without sampling fees is by all intents an purposes illegal. i doubt damu has paid hose fees. who are new have the money available to give the sampling fees.
if some people say this out loud, then it wont be long before it goes through the grapevine to somone who will take action. yahsemme?

remember this is a forum and i'm sure if you searched in google anything along the lines of fudgemunk, samples, id, damu etc. FP will come in the search

this is why the-breaks.com dont publish any un-santioned samples.

3rd. he has some very rare records. mostly jazz/latin/soul i have found 3 on youtube which are in the related list about 3 videos in. so look there.

bless

wise words my man, you make some good points. thanks for the help

I'm a huge Damu fan and his beats are sick, but this guy is sample biting a lot!

On Beatgrinder he used the same samples as:
Das EFX - They Want EFX
Lord Finesse - Gameplan

On Coffee Table:
Gangstarr - JFK 2 LAX

On What's Next (Remix)
Slum Village - Fall in Love

On Tea Thyme:
BlackStarr - Little Brother / PR & CL - In The House

And the list goes on, But the thing with him is, he uses the same samples in a (sometimes) much more creative way.

Nevertheless, I still love Damu his beats and like him as a person in general, never met him in real life but he seems like a melow dude who is really down to earth and just loves music.

So don't say I'm exposing his samples, this is all over the internet and if you listen to some 90's hip hop you'll hear a ton of his samples.

Peace

[h=2][/h]

Yeah! His drums are killing me, I'm listening to Damu for +/- 1 year and I think I'm starting to understand what he is doing to his drums.

Step 1. Get yourself a drumbreak on Vinyl, record that shit (Hot) in your Sampler/DAW (if it's 33 1/3 RPM, record it at 45 RPM, if it's one 45 RPM record at 78, some say it's just a myth but I'm definitely hearing a differences).

Step 2. Chop individual drum sounds off that break (kick, snare, hi-hat, cymbal, bells, tambourine, etc) and layer them with other drum sounds (record the same as Step 1).

Step 3. Filter the sounds where needed, I always re-record my sounds trough "main out" (MPC 1000 w/ JJ OS1 user), try to make the sounds clip a little bit just to give them that crunch.

Step 4. Creating the drum pattern, my advice is to not quantize, but adjust the note where needed!

This probably is one of the ways he is getting his drums so punchy but remember, he get's is music professionally mixed and mastered so you aren't going to get the same sound as him, this is BTW not only a guide for "Damu drums", but Hip Hop drums in general, so don't say I'm biting him.

It's all trial and error, just experimenting with your drums helps a lot, listen to a lot of producers u like and try to think of what they to get their drums to sound so dope.

I also think hip hop producers like Pete Rock, Lord Finesse et cetera. use a technique called New York compression (also known as Parallel Compression), you should look it up, you're (almost) always guaranteed to get some dope drums out of it.

P'z

Most of his signature sound is in the hi-hat as well. His hats are always CRISPY!

Back