buying a sampler

gordon_strange

Hola!
just starting out in producing my own stuff. Want to use hard wear as i dont wanna by a high spec p.c./laptop. and i like the idea of almost playing live.
i would like something pi$$ easy to use but gives me loads of scope to mess things about and create unique sounds.
i have a 307 groovebox, (i know its getting on but its great fun and easy peasy and will do till i get a 909!)and have been d.j.ing for years. i did have an sp 303 roland fx/sampler but i kinda blew it up! so heres my thoughts
A korg es 1 (all reviews say its easy and good quality) or an sp 808 (emix preferably)
So what do you guy6s/dolls think?
remember easy is the buzz word here i wanna plug and play without having to have a degree in sound engineering (as most manuals seem to think you have)
think like you were buying a sampler for your mum!
p.s. dont suggest p/c samplers and not stupidly expensive ones-im on a budget!!!!!;D

the es-1 is a lot of fun very easy to use... you seem to like boss/roland gear have you thought about the 404 or the 606?

i have an es-1 and it was enough to convince me to get the es-x when it came out, but that's just me...

i've heard good things about the 808 also

what is stupidly expensive? U could get an mpc60 which u can get for a few hundred backs sometimes as well as an asr 10 or an eps. if u have a couple gs u can even get an mpc 4000. whats ur budget like kuz there is **** out there for 6gs and then theres fruity loops (100) which side of the spectrum r u on.

you said you are on a budget without telling us the amount, so it's a little hard to give good advice

i have an akai s950 and a s6000 and love them both..

of course, there is a certain learning curve, but those machines were pretty intuitive (at least for me) ever since i got them..

the manual for the s6000 is great and the device itself has a great sound and lots functionalities (for some see my review)
the s950 i only use as a drum-sampler for that dirty 12 bit drumsound, it already has timeshifting, which the s900 does not have, but nowadays i wouldn't go far with 750Kb of ram anyhow..
my s6000 is maxed to 256 ram, i have a built in zip drive, a few-gig harddrive and a usb-card to connect it to my computer..

of course the s6000 is a little bit pricey, but worth every single euro for me

(no, i haven't used either of them on any of my soundclick tracks.. when we recorded those i didn't have these devices yet, and i won't put up anything recent..)

Last edited:
I've looked at the 606 on ebay and it looks quite tasty. does it have a "drum machine" built in/? or does it have to loaded up? in fact what would be the best piece of kit for this? i can load beats and stuff via my groovebox. but would prefer to have the whole lot (samplerdrum-machine, synth) in one easy to reach box any ideas?
(i know im kinda rambling a bit but im rubbish with tech-speak)

usually those boxes come loaded with a kit but you may not agree with it, i would guess it comes with a cd with kits/sounds as well

Back