BPMs and timestreching...

I

I_watch_stars

I am noobish to the art of sampling.

Say that you have a song at 120.00 BPM and you want to put a vocal from song X in there. What techniques do you guys use to make the tempo of the vocals 120 BPM? Do you run the vocal through a BPM sensor? I have one of those and it seems to work horribly, add to the fact that most acounstic songs are in non integer tempos like 101.32. What do you guys do?

You've got to change the pitch of the vocals to match up to your beat.

Actually, I know all of what is covered in your question. What I'm asking is, a non-techno song is probably going to be in a strange tempo. Assuming that the real tempo of the song cant be represented with an integer tempo, won't they evetually be out of sync? Will tapping the tempo actually give an acceptable result (especially for a long sample such as a song length vocal sample) that won't go out of sync?

Last edited by a moderator:
for a long vocal sample you may have to chop the vocal up in some areas to make it fit. i would do so in areas not so noticable and it will still sound like one long vocal part

zenith said:
for a long vocal sample you may have to chop the vocal up in some areas to make it fit. i would do so in areas not so noticable and it will still sound like one long vocal part

Hey thats a good idea, thanks!

Back