The Biggest Bytch About Sampling...

R

Reign of Terror

Is when you dont know the damn song title. ive been going crazy for about 2 hours trying to find the song to this tune by the Smashing Pumpkins so i can sample it, i cant freakin stand this!

Last edited by a moderator:
What I hate is when someone posts a sample they need ID'd, and I *think* I know it, and I end up wasting a week listening to glam-metal only to never find it anyway.

i dont know the lyrics, only the tune. its piano and its on one of those insurance/investment/finance commercials. I know its Smashing Pumpkins because it sounds so familiar, and i have a slight memory of how the singer sung on it. I need this melody so bad. its around 7 seconds and thats the whole melody.

I havent listened to Smashing Pumpkins in years and i do not have the time for dig through all of their albums to find one song, if anybody has an IDEA, i will search it out and then reply.

Is it 33? Or Melancholy & The Infinite Sadness? You're description is pretty vague, but it sounds like it could be off of Melancholy & The Infinite Sadness.

no, for thirty-three that sounded like a xylaphone with a single note progrression. and the melon collie one was not melodic, too much progressions and was very chordy. the melody im talking about is very single noted, or atleast it doesnt have a chorded sound.

damnit, i wish i payed attention to that do-re-mi stuff, eventhough i know it, i dont know how to use it musically, so i cant demonstrate that way by typing and i dont have a mic

edit: im such a jackass, i thought about the imstrumentation and since i havent seen the commericial since this afternoon, i misplaced piano for cello or a viola somehow. remebering what it was it was definetly a cello, viola or violin. sorry for my stupdity

i made something real quick that is basically what im talking about but in a higher pitch and it doesnt have pasues between the switching of strings.

this is the best i can do since all i have is a keyboard and no midi

Tonight, Tonight? It doesn't really sound at all like your sample, but it was the first Pumpkins track I thought of.....and hey, its right after Melon Collie and I thought I'd be a follower...=)

Mate, if you know who its by and you cant even be bothered to go thru their back cat to find what you want then donet even bother sampling it, it doesn't say much for your dedication as a producer does it....

I'm thinking you're likely not much of a Pumpkins fan, otherwise, you would love the chance to go through their library, so I am thinking that it is a fairly popular song. That makes things kind of interesting. Disarm has a very simple melody and a string/guitar bridge, but I can't picture a finance company using a song where the chorus goes "The killer in me is the killer in you". It would actually be kind of funny if it was a life insurance company.....

This is my last guess....but thanks for getting me to listen to my Pumpkins CDs - this band brings back some seriously old memories.....

twinings, i used to listen to the smashing pumpkins when i was 11, im 17 now. i like them, but i dont love, them. i have a list of over 200 artists that i plan on going through the material of. but stuff like that is very time consuming, its like record digging for the first time (which i havent done), i guarentee, a newbie would take hours to find something random that they like while someone who has done it for a while could find anything random they like in less than 10 min. i dont have that experience and thus i dont have the time as of now to search endlessly for things like that.

and also, im not confident in myself as a producer because ive yet to prove it to myself and thats what really matters, so as of now im not going to be the type that will spend hours and hours looking for samples. i feel like im a shytty producer, and when the day comes that i feel confident in what i am doing, is the time when i decide that i need to do sample sit downs and whatnot.

Trust me, thats how it was for me and piano. i sucked and i still sucked, but when i saw true progression in my skills, thats when i started to dial shyt in. you get me?

i guess ill leave my treasure for another day of discovery, the gem is bound to turn up one day

thx for the help guys

Fair play, thats an intelligent and honest response and I respect you for it, I would encourage you though to hget some random stuff to go through, it can be a big source of inspirtaion an you might surprise yourself.....

You are thinking about the Melencholy and the Infinite Sadness theme. Its a little piano medly right? I think its in the key of C. I know how to play it on guitar too.

Back