Which is Better, Vinyl or CD?

westlogic

Captain Player Hater #1
Which one of the medias do you sample from mostly, vinyl or cd? Which one sounds better to sample from?

At the present time, I am using CDs, because I don't have the funds to buy a turntable, to sample from vinyls. And I heard the vinyl's samples sounds better than the cd's samples. I was just curious on others opinion.

records give you a much warmer sound when they are sampled. I feel more depth and feeling when I sample off record, plus pulling out some obsure record from the 40's or 50's thats not on some CD is a good feeling

neither are better man! there are so many pro's & cons of both:

vinyl pro's

"warm" sound
can find some bizaare things.
can get real crazy bargains

cons:

generally expensive
take up lots of space
can be a ***** o find!

cd pro's:

perfect quality
easy to convert
readily available
relatively cheap

cons:

well, im not sure if there are any really!

haha hope this helps!

I use cds tapes and vinyl. it really depends on ur work flow but for me it doesnt matter kuz ima store it all on my pc and use it when im ready to use it. when u have it on ur pc long enough i doubt you will remember lol.

I have not used a tape, but I should try it out to see what kind of feel I can get from it. I appreicate the responds.

make sure u get a high quality tape deck or you wont be happy with tapes. but u get a good tape saturated sound as well. Vinyl is the best sound but tapes I think are a slept on good second then cds. I wouldnt say Cd quality is perfect its just cleaner. I like some dirt in my sound.

well cd kinda is perfect cus most music you make will be heard on a cd, meaning that the bit rates & sample frequencies wont be heard better by most/all people, but ur right, it aint perfect!

i feel u nothing is really perfect tho. i think analog is king because it is imperfect actually.

I use both cd and vinyl like alot of people have said here vinyle gives you a warmer sound plus i find it easier to pull a record back to get a sample than rewind a cd but to me all comes down to diggin and what cool stuff you can find

i co-sign bhunt..

most of the time i buy old vinyl without listening to it or even knowing the artists, and then i look for something good to sample when i'm at home

westlogic said:
Which one of the medias do you sample from mostly, vinyl or cd? Which one sounds better to sample from?

At the present time, I am using CDs, because I don't have the funds to buy a turntable, to sample from vinyls. And I heard the vinyl's samples sounds better than the cd's samples. I was just curious on others opinion.

Both are good. You know, just experiment. Me personally, I prefer vinyl due to a wider range of music.

KingBling1616 said:

but i mean wat do u guys use...a mic?..or liek a line to the comp?

You can use hook your turntables to the computer, I am not for sure how, because I haven't brought a turntable yet, to experiment with it. But you can use a mic too, like for recording other instruments. Those are ways you can record into the computer for sounds. But I am no expert or haven't experience with it.

KingBling1616 said:
how do u guys, transfer the tape/vinyl to ur comp?

i have my tt's connected to my dj-mixer, which is connected via my regular mixer to the audio interface of my pc..

click me
you cannot see the computer on this pic, but it's located in the far back (close to where the guy is sitting) and is connected via balanced cables to my mixing console

Last edited:
I hate sampling off cds... probably because every artist wants to bring me a cd filled w/ oldies and say "Here, this has tons of **** to use, you can make some dipset type ish"... So if I flat out say, I don't sample cds... problem solved...lol.

But on another note, if one were to buy say... a 4 track cassette recorder... or even cheaper and grittier, a $25 tape recorder (I believe they have Line level ins), would running a cd player through it give it a warmer sound... I always wondered that..

kid848 said:
I hate sampling off cds... probably because every artist wants to bring me a cd filled w/ oldies and say "Here, this has tons of **** to use, you can make some dipset type ish"... So if I flat out say, I don't sample cds... problem solved...lol.

But on another note, if one were to buy say... a 4 track cassette recorder... or even cheaper and grittier, a $25 tape recorder (I believe they have Line level ins), would running a cd player through it give it a warmer sound... I always wondered that..

You mean recording the sound on the tape deck then sampling? Or do you mean just running the cd out through the deck? I doubt just running the line through will wrk....Never tried it though.

Back