Best way to chop samples with FL Studio? (Seems very limited!)

gsingh3888

Hello all,

I have a MPD32 and I use it with FL Studio. I make rap beats and usually I just find loops and add drums and a bassline and it sounds fine since I make the beats for myself but I want to make more complex beats where I chop the sample up but with FL Studio it seems extremely hard. The Note Repeat and Tap Tempo functions don't work, so I don't know what they do in the first place.

It's really hard to chop a sample in FL Studio and lay it down on the pads and make a dope beat. It's extremely hard to get a sample and flip it into a 4-8-16 etc bar loop, it always ends up being a very odd number or something like 12 bars when I really want just 8.

Can someone recommend other MIDI controllers or even other devices, even if they're analog and not MIDI/digital to chop samples and make better beats?

However, if you use FL Studio and a MPD and make great beats and are willing to teach me some methods, inbox me and I am willing to PAY for lessons/tutorials through Skype chat or any other program involving screen sharing.

Thank you.

Do you use slicex? That is by far the best tool for chopping up samples. Once you chop the sample up it automatically maps each chop to each note starting at C, C#, D and so forth. Then that way if you have your MPD set up so that the pads are mapped in order of notes starting from middle C the pads will be loaded up and ready to go straight away.
Look up some slicex tutorials on youtube and you will be ready to go.

My MPD32 wouldn't map out like that. For example... Pads 1-4 are C#3, C3, F#3, A#6... I don't know why my MPD maps it out like that but it didn't work any other way. Even if I used SliceX it wouldn't help with the MPD.

Ah ok I assumed you were just chopping in edison and dragging a loop to the timeline. I don't have an MPD but I was able to map out the pads on my MAX49 to work like how I described by reading the manual.

Try this video. If that doesn't help, try reading your manual or using google or youtube.

Dude youtube has tutorials for everything. You have advantage because fl studio has by far the most youtube tutorials completely free.
All samplers benefit from zooming in/out too.there are timestretch options too and the note repeat.

I got you bro. Your fl should come with a native plugin called fpc.

Watch a tutorial on how to use it and link up to a controller. It's super easy.

I have a mini midi keyboard and it's perfect. I'm sure you could do the same with your mpd.

In Edison, it's pretty easy to chop it up, you just put time-markers where you want. Then the easiest way to play those chops is, you right-click on each time-marker, go to trigger note and click on ''last hit'' and hit the pad you want to assign it to.

Or you can drag those chops to the step-sequencer, then either load them into FPC, or use Layer to spread your chops (lulz).

I got you bro. Your fl should come with a native plugin called fpc.

Watch a tutorial on how to use it and link up to a controller. It's super easy.

I have a mini midi keyboard and it's perfect. I'm sure you could do the same with your mpd.

I basically need some tutelage and inspiration from someone who has been making dope beats with a MPD and FL Studio. Lets just say I'm going through some tough times mentally because of a particular medication and need help getting back on my feet. I'm not trying to steal anyone's style, but would like to learn some good tips and methods for making nicely chopped beats with the MPD. As far as using my MPD as a controller I have all of that set up and ready to go with no latency issues. My only problem is making sampled beats that end up with a weird bar count like 9-11 bars when I want them to fit in 8 so I have perfect 4 or 8 bar drum loops to fit. If you or anyone else is willing to help and has PayPal, I am willing to pay to learn.

Well I'm certainly not an expert, but I'll help you any way I can. No need for any type of payment. Most of my beats are using the technique you described, chopping, rearranging, etc.

Check out some of my posts on here if you want to get a feel for my style.

I have no experience with an mpd, so it's hard to comment on that. I do however think the workflow would be similar to what I'm doing live playing into the playlist over drums.

I can break down a few of the things I do the best I can. I watched a video on how to link keys in order from my keyboard to fpc plug in. So now every time I use it, I load that key layout.

I find pieces that I want to play, however I don't know the order. I cut each piece "by 1" so they don't overlap if I play another key.

I have a basic drum pattern already layed out, let it play, then develop some kind of sequence over the drums. From fpc, you can adjust the time and pitch that the sample plays from when you strike the key. I try and adjust accordingly.

Then I route the fpc to a mixer track and add some delay, reverb, etc.

I think go back and edit the drum pattern and get it sounding right.

As far as not being able to have the samples in 4 or 8 bars, I'm not sure what to say, set your drums out to the desired length and only play that far. Cut anything else out.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any more questions.

PS- practice! You'll make it happen brah

Something that has not been mentioned. If you are going to chop samples and replay them you need extremely low latency. Otherwise your groove will be off. you'll notice this if your auto Quantize is off and your recorded midi chops sound off. Some styles require this loose feel and are tough to get right without fixing this issue.

Do you use slicex? That is by far the best tool for chopping up samples. Once you chop the sample up it automatically maps each chop to each note starting at C, C#, D and so forth. Then that way if you have your MPD set up so that the pads are mapped in order of notes starting from middle C the pads will be loaded up and ready to go straight away.
Look up some slicex tutorials on youtube and you will be ready to go.

Wow...didn't know Slicex did that. Do they have the 64bit version out yet or am I stuck using 32lives?

Back