Besides rare samples why don't u download samples

Xabiton

Cupcake God
I just started using rhapsody for my digging pleasures and I love it. I am seriously considering selling my turntable and tape deck and just using rhapsody and Itunes. Especially because rhapsody offers such high sound quality and for the most part its cheaper since u dont have to waste gas money all u need is a bank account cats should try it out ive had it for a few days and ive found some dope samples

i've never sampled using vinyl, i barely sample now (considerin i just started gettin involved with it) but I can assure you wut will be said by true ol school samplers.... it's the sound that you get from vinyl...it's not necessarily high-quality, it's just the vinyl/analog sound.. it's wut hip hop originated out of. so i'm sure that's the reason ppl still stick to vinyls, and of course the fact that you wont find ALL THE VINYLS IN THE WORLD in digital format...

J

the reason i don't download samples is bcuz when i'm digging, 90% of the time i'm looking for artists i have nevear heard of... i like finding vinyl i have never seen and taking a piece from it... that's the thrill of it all.... and if i'm downloading something, who's to say 1000 other people don't have the same sample i downloaded? the internet is huge... the only times i would download a sample is if i have a record that i can't get clean enough to do what i want it to do or it is scratched..and i would then download it....

ediggingkp0.gif

JBeeZy said:
i've never sampled using vinyl, i barely sample now (considerin i just started gettin involved with it) but I can assure you wut will be said by true ol school samplers.... it's the sound that you get from vinyl...it's not necessarily high-quality, it's just the vinyl/analog sound.. it's wut hip hop originated out of. so i'm sure that's the reason ppl still stick to vinyls, and of course the fact that you wont find ALL THE VINYLS IN THE WORLD in digital format...

J
i agree im just curious on individials the world is shiftin in this direction now and i keep hearin bout more and more cats digital diggin if u wanna call it that but lets hear what everyone else says anyway

id also like to add I like to sell my records to conserve space in the house so for me its so much less of a hassle to download the sample and not have to worry about someone saying they dont want my records vs goin from store to store or throwing the records away because nobody wants them

Last edited:
w/ vinyl u get that nice vinyl sampled sound. i never got why people used those crackle removers unless you were trying to get the beat to sound cleaner.

Last edited:
bobsmitt said:
w/ vinyl u get that nice vinyl sampled sound. i never got why people used those crackle removers unless you were trying to get the beat to sound cleaner.
i dont know about u but i always get complaints about that from artists they hate that crackle a lot of the time and want it cleaned the new thing i think is to have a sterile clean sound

with downloading you can find a lot of stuff but you gotta know what to look for. type in a name and get the result. trying to get something that you've never heard though is different cause you don't necessarily know what to look for. that's why you can't really beat going to record stores and stuff like that.

if the cracklin and poppin is too loud,(according to your rappers) its probly cause the record was semi-mangled to begin with , and then any compression you have done also makes the crackles and pops alittle too harsh and loud....try recording the samples in and then manually removing the pops n clicks, and then use the sample in the beat after you clean it up...NOTHIN BEATS THAT OLD VINYL SOUND!!!!

Why not just have the best of both worlds? Vinyl is great because you have to auctually work to get a sample, Digital is great because you can sit on your fat ass and get a sample. There just different roads going to the same place, ones a highway and ones the senic route.

I mostly use soulseek to get my digital samples and I find tons of sh!t I never would have otherwise heard of simply by browsing other peoples files.

But I can say vinyl will always be my favorite way to get samples, it's hard to say why tho...maybe tradition, I dunno there is just a certain quality about vinyl that I love I just cant put my finger on what it is.

ninjadog said:
Why not just have the best of both worlds? Vinyl is great because you have to auctually work to get a sample, Digital is great because you can sit on your fat ass and get a sample. There just different roads going to the same place, ones a highway and ones the senic route.

I mostly use soulseek to get my digital samples and I find tons of sh!t I never would have otherwise heard of simply by browsing other peoples files.

But I can say vinyl will always be my favorite way to get samples, it's hard to say why tho...maybe tradition, I dunno there is just a certain quality about vinyl that I love I just cant put my finger on what it is.

Co-sign. I do both. If I go diggin', I'll never pick up a James Brown, Temptations, Al Green, etc. I save that for the mp3s. I dig for stuff I've never heard of. That warm sound of vinyl is what makes tracks sound "full" imo. It seems like with digital samples I have to add subtle reverbs and other fx.

for me.. truth is that I like the substance of the record.. **** is real material, and plus you get some nice artwork most of the time

JSINGLEZ33 said:
if the cracklin and poppin is too loud,(according to your rappers) its probly cause the record was semi-mangled to begin with , and then any compression you have done also makes the crackles and pops alittle too harsh and loud....try recording the samples in and then manually removing the pops n clicks, and then use the sample in the beat after you clean it up...NOTHIN BEATS THAT OLD VINYL SOUND!!!!
that sounds like too much extra stuff just to use the record and i chop around the pops usually and usually mute out the loud ones its the small ones that u can still pick up in the headphones that bugs them either way a crackling sound doesnt sound much worth it to me thats just my opinion tho

i sample from everything I can get my hand on. Vinyl being My favorite. Still I use cd's, I download, and I record my own samples. It's all personal prefrence

JiggSaw said:
Co-sign. I do both. If I go diggin', I'll never pick up a James Brown, Temptations, Al Green, etc. I save that for the mp3s. I dig for stuff I've never heard of. That warm sound of vinyl is what makes tracks sound "full" imo. It seems like with digital samples I have to add subtle reverbs and other fx.
trust me, the temptations, al green, and james brown still have songs most people have never heard of that isn't available online....

i feel like such a geek mother****er choppin up mp3s i downloaded from bearshare or something. vinyl is just nice cus u can just go out, chill in a record store, lookin through mountains of records for a couple hours, with no idea what to search for, you just know when you find it. none of that, "hmmm what should i type in" ****, and when you start typin in **** its like hmmmm "70's soul" or you hear of some cool artist some dude sample so you type that **** in, that's some whack ****, **** "digital digging" and don't even ****ing call it that, its not "digital digging" its downloading music you typed into a search field on your computer screen.

a tru producer doesent care were he got his sounds samples or anything from, becouse a real producer will allways be able to work with anything and make it sound great,

Adlib311 said:
a tru producer doesent care were he got his sounds samples or anything from, becouse a real producer will allways be able to work with anything and make it sound great,

(goes crazy) great post...that's basically the jist of it.

Adlib311 said:

TRUE WORDS.

Xabiton said:
I just started using rhapsody for my digging pleasures and I love it. I am seriously considering selling my turntable and tape deck and just using rhapsody and Itunes. Especially because rhapsody offers such high sound quality and for the most part its cheaper since u dont have to waste gas money all u need is a bank account cats should try it out ive had it for a few days and ive found some dope samples

what are you using to record rhapsody...cuz ive got it too, i didnt know i could record **** off of it.i tried RM recorder but couldnt get it to work.

Back