Thread: Beginner With Trouble Making Sample Based Beats

Thanks

Beginner With Trouble Making Sample Based Beats

Sign in to disable this ad
    Hi there! I've been having issues making beats off of sampling lately. I've been sampling for a while now but I never released anything due to my lack of mastering skills to finish off my material (and for data loss reasons as well...). I used to use regular headphones or a tv monitor to hear my projects, knowing that I'm listening on an unprofessional level. But now that I have my audiobox and subwoofer monitors and professional studio headphones, I decided to get back to beat making along with my addition of owning a Maschine MK1. But for some reason, though I possess a reasonable amount of records from countless attempts of random crate digging, I can't seem to find a way to use any of the records I have. I don't plan on sampling records for huge projects as I'm a novice at best, but I do want to create that 90's sample-based feel to my beats. It's as if all along, I picked the wrong records to pick up but I believe that is false because anything can really be sampled to create a gem of a project.
    Here are my two main issues:

1) The samples I have usually have drums playing over the song entirely. This makes it really difficult because it's usually either has a fast tempo or the drums have too many loud hats and snares.

2) The samples that don't have drums have all sorts of abstract instruments that sound nice on the low end but are far too improvised in terms of arrangement. I can stretch and slice or even drop the pitch which in turn, would slow the speed respectively but it'll just sound far too mellow and groggy.

For people wondering what I want to necessarily sound similar but not exact to, I grew up listening to Pete Rock, J Dilla, ATCQ, De La Soul and even FlyLo. I know I may sound like a total noob but I'm super familiar with FL, Ableton Live 9 and Maschine. I never was good on the mastering end and hardly have the knowledge for frequencies (though I understand it's an essential I wish to have.) Thank you for any responses that may help!

- D'Angelo "D#" Gonzalez
    Last edited by D#'st; 09-10-2017 at 01:51 PM.

Thanks
    I'm not totally sure how to help you but I guess I'd say that making sample-based hip-hop starts with the drums. Put together a dusty drum loop and then see what fits it. If you invest the time to listen to every second of each record it'll pay off but if you're just looking to put something nice together, I'd recommend just skimming the intro's of each track to cover more ground. Once you find a nice drum-free intro, see how it fits with your loop, if it doesn't work well, burn it and move on until you find something...

After you become comfortable with matching up intro's with drum breaks, I'd then start investing the time to listen to every second for bits and pieces of usable material. I just don't know if it's the most efficient use of your time to listen to entire records until you get a solid grasp of making dope but simple beats. There's my two cents, hope it helps!
    Hit me up on Facebook!

Thanks
    Thanks a bunch dude. I think after giving the records a listen, I noticed when they get louder or close off a chorus, it usually drowns out the drums with strings or horn when it comes to soul music.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by D#'st View Post
    Thanks a bunch dude. I think after giving the records a listen, I noticed when they get louder or close off a chorus, it usually drowns out the drums with strings or horn when it comes to soul music.
    i second that. usually th intros are drum free.

Thanks
    I agree with what The Funk Junkie said.

Also, if you have a lot of records (especially soul records) and cannot find tidbits or drum hits to sample here and there, then I think you might not have been sampling long enough to develop an ear for when those stand out moments occur in songs. My ears perk up even when I'm not paying attention sometimes and I hear stuff.

I guess it's possible that you have been picking all duds as far as records, but I don't think that is the likely culprit. True, the intro alot of times has a break but sometimes the break occurs somewhere else in the song, as does solo instrument stabs/hits/chords that are also worth looking into. I might recommend listening to known songs/records that have a wealth of things worth sampling, then begin to train your ear from there? Putting in the time and effort is really going to be up to you. I can honestly say that I have never heard anyone that had this same problem when it came to sampling records. Perhaps it has came up before on the net, but i've never heard anyone coming up with goose eggs after putting forth some effort.

good luck

Thanks
    Thanks man. Lately I've been sampling a lot more and I guess it's just that I get slightly thrown off when I load up a sample in my Maschine where the synths and chords and overall sample is amazing but the entire sample is filled with drums that sorta cloud it off. I know filtering and EQ'ing can do the trick, but there's no sure shot way to drown out the drums without blurring the good bits of a sample. I learned that I could try playing the sample in sequence and just make my own drums louder than the ones embedded on the sample, but only through some tracks. Other than that, you guys have helped tremendously. I hope I get that sixth sense of yours of being able to clearly detect viable material in a sample quickly. haha

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by D#'st View Post
    Thanks man. Lately I've been sampling a lot more and I guess it's just that I get slightly thrown off when I load up a sample in my Maschine where the synths and chords and overall sample is amazing but the entire sample is filled with drums that sorta cloud it off. I know filtering and EQ'ing can do the trick, but there's no sure shot way to drown out the drums without blurring the good bits of a sample. I learned that I could try playing the sample in sequence and just make my own drums louder than the ones embedded on the sample, but only through some tracks. Other than that, you guys have helped tremendously. I hope I get that sixth sense of yours of being able to clearly detect viable material in a sample quickly. haha
    Chop on the drum hits.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by feelhim View Post
    Chop on the drum hits.
    This. Chop on the drum hits. Generally works well when chopping it on every beat of the sample.. Then reconstruct it so that the drums work as an extra layer to your own drums and beef them up.

And there's nothing wrong in looping if the sample works either.. For you it sounds that experimenting with verious methodies would be recommendable. Practice and get some experience. It'll start to get easier with that.

Thread Information