Beginner question regarding sampling Hiphop beats

Xianbo

Hello guys,

I have no previous experience with beat making but I have always wanted to do it, however i was unable to do so during my highschool years due to financial reasons. Now that I am in college and have some cash, I bought myself a M-Audio Axiom 32 unit, and I'm wondering if this is all I need to sample? I have watched a lot of videos on Youtube and tutorials on FL studio for sampling so I do have some knowledge. Note that this MIDI keyboard comes with only 8 pads and 32 keys. I do not plan on composing or making my own instrumentals so I do not think it's necessary to get a 49 key system. However, if sampling does require 49 keys I take this into consideration.

Also, one last question, what's the difference between sampling on a MIDI compared to drum pads? Do they essentially do the same thing on different interfaces?

Thank you very much

No difference between keys and pads, comes down to person preference. That controller should do fine, you still need software to sample as a controller is nothing without software. The number of keys comes down to preference as well as how well you play. If you're just using it to trigger samples and do bass lines it'll do you fine

Thank you very much for the quick response :) makes me more confident in getting this keyboard, I will be using FL studio to chop MP3 files of classical songs to convert them into hiphop beats

Back