bassline

S

scrimscramtheman

ive had the mpc 1000 for about 2 months now ive gotten pretty good with it the only thing i have trouble with is matching up good basslines with samples i find that everytime i try and add the bass it ends up messing up the continuity and flow of the song any tips or advice on getting better more compelling basslines

What helped me alot was try not to make an intense bassline. Just make it simple. A note here and there, more to compliment the beat.

my personal experience.
the filter frequency be around 12/16. maybe use some light reverb to make it have a bit of presence without disrupting the whole song.

or do what nicro says. use the 1 and the 5th of the key of the song

kev brown is a good producer to check the technique on basslines.the way he sequences his bass's are nicccee

Last edited:
i never do bass in my mpc...

sample, kick, snare, hats, shakers, cymbals...--> send to PC

in my daw i add everything else bass and thangs....

BUT!!!!

If you wanna be a purist and do it in the mpc do like my man said and do simple thangs. the best example I can give you for that is 'Above The clouds' off of the Moment of Truth Gangstarr record (Peace to Guru). Premo did his thizzle on that...just two bass hits at the beginning of the bar....that shyt was ill.

Peace

go to my myspace and listen to strangers...cut the sample and did the drums in the mp..the bass line is more complex so i did it in FL.

Last edited:
thanks guys ill mess around with the filtering and try and keep it simple thanks for the advice

Chances are, your bass is out of tune. Once you start matching the notes to the key of the sample, I can guarantee that your beats will start sounding much better.

i never do bass in my mpc...

sample, kick, snare, hats, shakers, cymbals...--> send to PC

in my daw i add everything else bass and thangs....

BUT!!!!

If you wanna be a purist and do it in the mpc do like my man said and do simple thangs. the best example I can give you for that is 'Above The clouds' off of the Moment of Truth Gangstarr record (Peace to Guru). Premo did his thizzle on that...just two bass hits at the beginning of the bar....that shyt was ill.

Peace

go to my myspace and listen to strangers...cut the sample and did the drums in the mp..the bass line is more complex so i did it in FL.

I had to go listen to it. Luckily I was already listening to my ipod so I didn't have to go far. I can't believe that is all the bass line was in that song lol. It is so minimal but you don't even notice it lol. He could've done so much more, but the ish still bangs lol.

I had to go listen to it. Luckily I was already listening to my ipod so I didn't have to go far. I can't believe that is all the bass line was in that song lol. It is so minimal but you don't even notice it lol. He could've done so much more, but the ish still bangs lol.
Hell Yeah Above the Clouds is prolly my 2nd fav beat Of all time by Premo 1st is Its All Real by Pitch Black...

Back