Basic of sampling?

BeatBassBanger

Looks interesting, I am just confused as to what is going on with sampling, how do you do it? I see a machine with a bunch of buttons (pads?) somebody break is down in laymen terms? Became interested after seeing this dudes youtube channel he got some heat

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GDywsq6Y2Eo

He's picking a record and then he records it to the maschine? then hits all the pads? Some explain what is going on? Looks fun:cool:

Looks interesting, I am just confused as to what is going on with sampling, how do you do it?

If you really are being serious and not trolling I'll help ya out :cool: The machine he is using is a sampler (A akai mpc 2000) to be exact and is used to sample and speed up/down and other features to the sample. The record is the sample which he "flips" and takes parts or sections and then creates something new. The pads are just the triggers of the selection of his "chops"

Nah not trolling, just stated a few weeks ago. Still new to all this I think I might pick one of these things up I like the work he is doing. So the MPC 2000 is recording/or chopping a certain part of the song. And you can edit it from the MPC pads? I notice when he hits a switch on the MPC it makes a ticking noise....so the MPC basically records the song in to its software and you can edit any part of the song you want?

Yes you can edit everything and he is recording and chopping. the ticking noise is his metronome to keep him on beat. If it was NI Maschine it would record it to a software but since he is using hardware everything is done in the mpc

Aight cool thanks, that is what I was slowly understanding as I kept watching his videos at first I was confused, but common sense kicked in. Imma have to pick one of these things up. Thanks for the replies

No worries if you ever need anything explained in detail regarding Logic pro or Maschine (a mpc sampler too) hit me up and Ill set up a video

Forewarning: Sampling is an art. The chance of addiction is prevalent and very possible. The desire to purchase new records on a frequent basis will also be a prevalent occurrence.

Anyhow, sampling can be relatively easy and is broken down into two basic styles: chopping and looping.

Chopping samples is the process of cutting or "chopping" randoms pieces out of the mix to construct a coherent masterpiece.

On the other hand, there is looping. This, simply put, is the act of taking a 4-bar/8-bar (or whatever-bar) loop and simply "looping" it (Edison is the shit!!).

Both are effective methods, but get crazy with it.. Experiment, experiment, experiment.

best of luck!

You don't nessecerily need an MPC to do what he's doing -
He's taken a sample (8 bars at a guess) and chopped it up into smaller pieces laying across his pads...
you can do the same thing in most DAWs but assign each of the chops to different keys on a simple MIDI keyboard.

If you want to go hardware - MPC 1000 is supposed to be much nicer to use (in terms of workflow) than the 2k and Roland's MV8800 is amazing (I played with one recently) but I'd definitely look at a software/hardware hybrid such as Maschine or the Akai MPC-Studio first.

Most cost effective right now is the Maschine Mikro. Definitely worth looking at.

Back