is it bad to sample the beginning of a song

In my opinion, as long as the beat sounds dope it doesn't matter how you did it. Just make those bangers!

Word up. Actually, I think some of the best samples come from the beginning of a song. Most songs wait til it gives you the bulk of it all. That beginning is just a groove that later gets filled in. Most of the time when I'm feeling lazy, I just chop up the beginning and add my own drum and bass to it. But just make sure you listen to the whole joint. You never know what you might want is in the middle or towards the end of that song.

Last edited by a moderator:
i think its totally fine as long as the outcome is dope!

As long as you can make it sound hot, I don't think anybody will care. I mean I've heard some say don't sample the first 10 seconds of Thriller or something along those lines, which is true to an extent, but if you can turn it into something completely bonkers, go for it. I mean look what Just Blaze did to "Superfreak" by Rick James.

Last edited:
nope...But if you sample somthing in the middle itll add more mysery.....until someone listens to the full song.lol

Some say it is. Say its the "easy" way to sample. But I didnt know there was a hard way. If the sample is dope go ahead!

I gotta agree with X there.
Most of my samples beats are also from the beginning of a track, especially with soul... those first 8 or so bars of the song.

The ONLY problem I can imagine with that is making a habit of only listening to the beginning of songs and missing out on true gems. It's happened to me too many times.

Its not bad to sample anything. Sampling the start of a track has only been looked down on because its so easy to do, as its the first thing that you hear so its the first thing anyone else with the same sample would of heard.

Its what you do with that sample that makes the difference. In this modern age the chances of finding an unused/rare sample is decreasing - personally ive given up caring if someones used it before and just treat them all like they have been used.

Ive got a bunch of samples on my computer that sound like like all they need is a regular boom-bap drum beat and to thicken the bass from the sample, but its way too easy + i feel like i havent done anything.
The point is, at least try to stay away from just using the raw melody directly from the sample by, choppin/cuting and if the sample is too prime to do any of that to, work into it, layer other parts of the song into it, maybe you'll get some nice vocals for a concept and DEFINITELY work the drums into it, if all else fails.

question

what if the vocals u want to sample have instruments behind and it doesnt blend well with the melody that u chopped up. do u extract the instruments. what type of filter. or would i need acapella

As long as you turn it into something that sounds dope! It's better to take something from the begining and turn it into something own by flipping it than using something from a different place of the song and just loop it.

if it feels right then it probably is... and like another good poster said the first bit is the beginning of the groove and other sounds will be layered over.... So why take samples from further in where you would have to filter and eq out unwanted sounds.... Sample on :)

of course not, a lot of real nice progressions happen at the start of the songs, so sample away, if it sounds great, then noone will care.

Back