Avoiding drums in samples

Wilby89

Where you're diggin for samples well you flip something that has alot of drums init or just go ahead and add your own drums, there was a time when I was looking for stuff to sample without drums lots of solo instruments etc. because I found that the drums in the sample interfered to much with my drums should I just be eqing better?

It doesn't matter to me if I like the sample. Of course it's better to find one w/out drums, but that doesn't mean you can't use em to your advantage.. It's more then EQ. Compression, filters, panning, velocity, etc. You just gotta understand dynamics.

Dont avoid drums, you can always use some tricks to minimize them like side-chain gating to compressing (cant remember which one right now) to miss them or just work around them... i find that just using them as part of the composition cuts down on unnecessary hassle later on, EQing will cause artifacts and it will never be quite right, trying to take out a snare for instance will have you cutting at about 250, 500, and 1k to get just the most basic sound of the instrument, not to mention all the harmonic crap that'll be left... and thats just gonna demolish that sample... I mean you can EQ but dont go nutty with it

Yes absolutely. Some records are just a loop with the same drums in them. Maybe a boost in EQ to mae it hit for the generation these days. I've sampled several samples w/ drums (toms, snares, kicks, rolls, etc). What I do is cut out some of the low end so that the kick is there but not there. once I get it how i want I add my own kick playing the same rhythm as the drums I cut out and then add my own variation.

Snares are also pretty cool. I love finding a similar snare in my collection and then making it sound just like the sample with the reverbs and delays. Small cuts can go a long way expecially since your adding things on top of the sample. If you want more samples w/ breaks and solos your going to have to listen , if not skim, though the entire record.

I just did a record where there was a heavy synth/kick and sub. I took that and EQ'd to a degree so that you could still make out the synth. then in the 2nd verse I filtered the sample so that just the sampled drums were there (sub and synth) kinda like a 40 & drake feel. Added with my drums (lots of automation) sounded great! So it just depends on how you utilize it.

See I love it when my sample has drum rolls, and crashes in it, cause I go all MF DOOM with it(He's the only one who I can think of that does this) and flip it, and keep all the crashes in, then layer some drums on top... If you like the sample and it has drums, just use it, don't worry about the drums getting in your way, you can use it to your advantage...

Yes, you can sample shit with drums in if they aren't too prominent in the sample. If you pick GOOD drum samples to layer over you can make shit sound dope. There's a psychoacoustic effect called frequency masking which is your friend here. You need to pick the right drum samples to layer over your shit to make it right though. Use your ears and pick your sounds carefully for this.

You can also get more creative with more obvious types of sample layering like some other people mentioned already. Or just straight up jacking 8 bars with full drums in if it sounds good. It's less about EQ and compression and more about picking your sounds real well. EXPERIMENT.

Back