Which Artists Are Sampleable?

Handmade

I just started producing, I'm trying to look for samples (digitally). Which artists should I check out? I already have the legends (Marvin Gaye, Stevie Wonder, Otis Redding, Miles Davis, Ahmad Jamal, etc.) and some rock acts like Dream Theater and Tool. What other artists are sampleable? Where can I look for samples, even obscure samples?

---------- Post added at 08:19 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:42 AM ----------

75 views and no responses? Really?

---------- Post added at 10:53 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:19 AM ----------

wow.....

"Which artists are sampleable" is pretty vague question as pretty much anything can be sampled, therefore finding samples when you dl your samples shouldn't be hard...

You have some artists there to start with. This is somewhat a standard ditc approach: If you have something you like, take a look at labels, musician credits and stuff like that (of course it might be harder to figure credits as you don't have the physical record on your hand, but you could use resourses such as Google and AllMusic). Then look for other stuff on the same label, find out if the credited musicians have put something else out or if the artist you've sampled has done some sessions for other artists and so on. Or even simpler, google for artists from a genre you like to sample..

I would think any song is SAMPLE-ABLE. Depends on what you're looking for. Which instruments.. what kind of vocal? A snare, a kick? So many options.. I would just find stuff I like...

Yeah bro, you can sample anything. even birds chirping lol. It's all about what you feel at the moment. If the song has parts that you could use on your adventure, then sample away. I like sampling old rock. Like 60s and 70s psychedelic funk music.

I just started producing, I'm trying to look for samples (digitally). Which artists should I check out? I already have the legends (Marvin Gaye, Stevie Wonder, Otis Redding, Miles Davis, Ahmad Jamal, etc.) and some rock acts like Dream Theater and Tool. What other artists are sampleable? Where can I look for samples, even obscure samples?

---------- Post added at 08:19 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:42 AM ----------

75 views and no responses? Really?

---------- Post added at 10:53 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:19 AM ----------

wow.....

You dont sound like you were impressed by any of these great artists, some of them GENIUS level master musicians.
I have seen Ahmad Jamal live on stage, and have TWO autographed albums by him.

If you dont have any strong preferences for certain styles of music, and are totally blase about actually LISTENING to great music, and understanding the whole ETHOS and the VIBE of why that music was created and made popular, then youre LOST...how can you expect some random producers on the "inner-nerd" to share your lack of enthusiasm by giving you more artists to casually dismiss like yesterdays news?

Im gunna agree with the dudes ^^^^ and say any and EVERY album has at least one DOPE sample...you just gotta learn how to listen...

Nah man, I'm not dismissing any legend. I listen to them a lot looking for samples, but I just want to know what/where to look for/look for more artists I could sample. I already have sampled Teddy Pendergrass and Ahmad Jamal once, I know there are hundreds of other sampleable sequences in their discographies, but, again, I just want to know where to look for more.

Well, I must agree with most of what's said in the thread. Every album, every song could perhaps have some "sample-able" aspect to it, it's just how you listen to it and envision using it.

As for where to find artists to sample...

That's the fun part. Record stores, your mother's/ father's CDs, YouTube, Google....

That being said, I nominate:
Taylor Swift :cool:

I make most of mine. In fact, that's what I started out making (in a way, although I didn't think of it as "making samples" - I make laughter and giggles:) soundcloud.com/theowlchemist
And have gradually progressed. :cool: ...

Last edited:
All artists are sampleable, I have Tool, APC, Hardcore punk bands, to David Ruffin, Fred Phelps to Farrakhan. All sampled in my tracks. Do what you love and what sounds right.

You make sampling, seem hard! haha All of these people before me are right. Listen to everything. Make your musical tastes as dope as possible. As you continue to sample, it'll get easy. Now for me, I listen to a song and as I listen, I think of how I could sample it.
But some other cool artists: Imogen Heap, Bon Iver, Frank Sinatra, etc.

Only thing limiting an artists sample-ability is whether it fits with what you plan to do - i.e. no point in sampling some 13/8 shite if it won't fit over what you want to do.....

I've never sampled, I wanna learn, sometimes I wonder, WHAT can you sample? Can you sample the instrumental like the whole? wouldn't that be plagarism? I only know that you can sample vocal, but u need acapella for that or?

I've never sampled, I wanna learn, sometimes I wonder, WHAT can you sample? Can you sample the instrumental like the whole? wouldn't that be plagarism? I only know that you can sample vocal, but u need acapella for that or?
yeah you can. there's a bunch of politics that go into sampled beats. especially when they're put on albums.

for more info, you should put a thread in the music industry section.

It's all about sitting back and enjoying tons of music. Different genres from different countries, rare finds, movie scores, anything out there. The samples will find you.

anythings sampleable, i started working on a track sampling "the bare necessities" from the jungle book but it's on the backburner as i though the samples were too obvious, everyone's seen that movie when they were kids.

Anything can be sampled really, one thing I learnt is you can have alot of fun with just the most random stuff.

I don't decide on what to sample based on genre, well not always. But if I hear a bit I think might work in my music style then I go ahead and try it. Some work some don't but sometimes the most obscure dumbest thing can be such a good laugh and give surprising results

This is kind of a two fold question. First off, I'll argue any artist you can take a sample from, flip it, and make a beat would be sampleable. With that being said, your only limitation is skill and creativity when sampling. The second component would be sample clearance. If you are chopping samples up and making beats for yourself and homies, by all means use any and everything. If you plan to shop your music around... youll be limited by the sample clearance fees and song publisher. I can tell you there is no money in sampling when it comes to licensing or publishing. If you are doing underground joints/indie records... its usually not an issue.

Wrote an article on sample clearance w/ link to interview with DMG publishing on sampling if you are interested, check it out here: Clearing Samples - My Thoughts on Sample ClearanceAlkota Beats

Back