Anyone make a beat with nothin but uh sample?

karledwards

Wonderin if I'm the only one. I just did this Mariah Carey joint. I'm talkin drums and everything strictly from the sample. Nothin new, I done did it before. Idk it's kinda like uh test ta me. It's limiting, but you gotta be creative.

I've done it a couple times. Its always nice when you find a dope sample and break all in one go.

a lot of people do that me included. When I sample until a few months ago I would usually not take anything from outside sources at all. Just use the sample unless there were no drums then I would use drums from other songs but as far as melodic stuff, bass ect keep it all from the original sample more often than not. Gives the song a different kind of sound than adding keyboard and vst stuff.

I've done it once where the beginning of the song had a great snare and then open hi hat hit, and then I sampled later on from the song for musical makeup. It had enough hi hat and kick presence as well as bass with EQing different stuff to where it just worked. I try not to do it though, feels kind've like cheating.

Never heard "headass" before but I don't think you're using it quite right. It's meant to insult my intelligence according to these definitions I have. Having different morals about something than you most definitely does not make me any less intelligent.

Never heard "headass" before but I don't think you're using it quite right. It's meant to insult my intelligence according to these definitions I have. Having different morals about something than you most definitely does not make me any less intelligent.

HEADASS. lmao I hope yr not serious..

I've done it once where the beginning of the song had a great snare and then open hi hat hit, and then I sampled later on from the song for musical makeup. It had enough hi hat and kick presence as well as bass with EQing different stuff to where it just worked. I try not to do it though, feels kind've like cheating.
man aint nothing cheating about it. cats been doing it since the early 80s just how you described. its nothing new

man aint nothing cheating about it. cats been doing it since the early 80s just how you described. its nothing new

Yeah I get it, I mean alot of my beats are mainly one sample we're talking bass and everything, except drums. I just usually don't like not adding my own drums and I usually do my own bass line, just a personal preference that's all. But a lot of great stuff's been made with this one sample practice, most recent i can think of is Dunc & Toine's "Makin Dollas". Mass of those cuts are just one sample for everything. And it's dope.

Last edited:
Yeah I get it, I mean alot of my beats are mainly one sample we're talking bass and everything, except drums. I just usually don't like not adding my own drums and I usually do my own bass line, just a personal preference that's all. But a lot of great stuff's been made with this one sample practice, most recent i can think of is Dunc & Toine's "Makin Dollas". Mass of those cuts are just one sample for everything. And it's dope.

I hear you. I am more from the pov of use what works. I care less about craftsmanship and more about sounding good. Thats just me though. Creatively I honestly prefer to layer several songs or play everything from scartch or use drum loops sometimes. Basically I find lots of ways to be creative. Most of my drums come from vinyl anyway and unless I am playing a set or programming a synth I have accepted that I am using someone else's drums anyway.

Yeah, I've done it a few times, depends on what sample i'm using

i still will always add an extra drumlayer on top of the sample even if its not necessary.
I experience it with a lot of 80s records that have drummachines on it. they already knock. but an extra drumbeat on it is never bad.

Havent done this in awhile..
and cheating? lmao
more like half assing to me.. I don't like adding VSTs and shit to my sampled beats but i like layering them with tons of samples from other songs so usually my beats have like 6 different sources

Back