Anybody on here using a Roland MS-1?

Pelle0809

Sup guys,

Haven't been on here for a while, but i'm thinking of buying a old school sampler just for the fun of it. Main one i'm thinking about buying is the MS-1. I'm not going to need any effects or advanced sequencer, so the simplicity in this thing is quite attractive to me.

anyone has any experience with this thing they can share? also tips on what to look for when buying one off ebay are much appreciated.

I've seen them running kinda high lately. They used to be about $50-60. Now often going over $100.
Might as well buy a zoom sampletrak, sp505, or korg es-1 if your going to have to pay over $100 anyway.
For 50 you might find an akai s2000 rack sampler though.

interesting choice. i'd like to hear what you do with it, should you decide to invest in it.

i'm curious to know what led you to want that particular sampler and why not any of the many other choices that have similar features, but with much larger capacity?

I've always wanted an SP808... There's no way I'd get one in reality but some of the MF Doom shit produced on that SP is just insane!

The MV8800 though... I ever see a reasonably priced one at a time when I actually have cash... MINE.

I've always wanted an SP808... There's no way I'd get one in reality but some of the MF Doom shit produced on that SP is just insane!

The MV8800 though... I ever see a reasonably priced one at a time when I actually have cash... MINE.

I have an sp808 and refuse to get rid of it.
All the reasons that it gets dissed for online by people who want perfection in a sampler...is exactly why it's good.
I see complaints about the timing algorithms and stuff when it time stretches, but I like it. Besides, this is why all the best samplers in history have became so fondly desired, because of their quirky and unique rendering.

The effects are pretty dope too. I plug in a synth or guitar and get some great results, but I will admit I have not utilized it as much as I should have. I explored it for a good 6 months and the sequencing on the 4track recorder can be a bit tough to get around, but who cares?:alcoholic:

I'll never get rid of it and as soon as I move into a larger place, it's going to be a mainstay in my setup for various reasons.

Let us know how it goes with the sampler if you get it, I'd like to hear some results.

interesting choice. i'd like to hear what you do with it, should you decide to invest in it.

i'm curious to know what led you to want that particular sampler and why not any of the many other choices that have similar features, but with much larger capacity?

So i decided to get one and got it in the mail 1,5 weeks ago. I haven't used it much yet, but i'm already quite fond of it. I love the fact it's so simple. You can loop and chop samples and play them back. I got tired of using a PC, because you have too much options. I felt that all the possible options and fancy things you can do with a pc were limiting my creativity (not trying to sound like a hippie or tree hugger :)) The MS-1 limits me in ways i haven't experienced before and i feel it's forcing me to be more creative in that way.

I'm also doing my recording on an old 4-track now to just stay away from the pc until mastering. I feel like it just works for me that way. And chopping feels really good and simple on the MS-1. I got a PO-12 and ordered a Volca beats to do drums. Now i want to get some low budget vintage drum machines and a synth to do basslines.

I've seen them running kinda high lately. They used to be about $50-60. Now often going over $100.
Might as well buy a zoom sampletrak, sp505, or korg es-1 if your going to have to pay over $100 anyway.
For 50 you might find an akai s2000 rack sampler though.

Got it for $80 ;)

Back