Any Tips on chopping up a sample dj premier style

R

Rodville

I been making beats for about two years just using loops on fl studio. I wanna try flipping a sample like dj premier does. Im pretty good with about everything else cause i go to school for music recording.

Last edited by a moderator:
You'' probably have to get Premier's number and ask him. You can learn how to chop a beat up. Everyone has there own style. You can start by looping up a sample you record, then cutting parts by notes.

It's fairly easy man, just study someof his ****, maybe even try to remake one of his beats.

why not just chop samples your style so then Premier can ask..How does Rodville chop his samples?

Every Style of music is based from previous style

Ok i know i asked people how to chop like dj premier but im not trying to be like him. Only learn the methods he uses to reach to the point that he at. If u read about kayne west and dj premier u would find out that they have had certain influences. For example kayne admitted that he got his style from Rza. Everyone has took something from some artist.

Hmm. Premo has his own type of style. If you want to listen to some of his IMO best stuff, check out

Jeru the Damaja-The sun rises in the east, and Wrath of the Math
Gangstarr-any of their albums.

Many of his beats are extremely simple, and really leave space and compliment the MC. Many times, he'll just have a 2 bar loop run throughout a full song, but in combination with the MC, its fire. His drums always have swing/shuffle on them too.

So yeah basically
Premo= Good samples, hard hittin drums, Shuffle/swing, simple, compliments MC.

doesnt premier scratch the samples? not cut them up, how would you cut them up? give me an example of one, mass appeal?

he cuts up the samples he uses as a part of the composition in the beats. And he also scratches (often vocal samples) on the hook

Dude Take Any Sample And Open In Fl Slicer And Have At It. You Can Take A 1 Bar Drum Loop And Infinite Different Combonations.

Best thing you can do is find the source of the sample in one of Premo's beats, and study his flip of the sample compared to the original for a long time. Try it yourself too.

step 1: identify the types of styles of music that he's been known to sample from. what types of phrases does he lift? are there many chord changes/notes?

step 2: identify the number of (and frequency of) chord progressions in his end product.

step 3: note any common chord progressions that he flips samples into

step 4: take a similar sample and modify it in a similar way.

in addition to all of these things, learn to chop, sequence, and edit... the better you know this, the more prone you will be to getting exactly what you want out of your sampler.

-Lodger

Back