another QUESTION: how many of ya'll know how to mix properly? audio school?

A

AragonAndOn

i've been asking this question a lot lately
maybe i'm just frustrated and impatient and i'm bitching alot haha
i've heard people learn how to mix by themselves with time and others by attending audio engineering school
my mixing is shitty, at the very least, decent.
and i hear of dudes who are also in high school or even younger, like these dudes
Envoy of The Happy Unfortunate,
Warren Aguilar,
C-Sick and Rob Bates that i learned about through red bull big tune
(look these guys up on youtube) and they have crisp, clear sounding, self-produced, and most likely self-mixed beats.
i feel like i'm missing something here lol, can anyone clear me up?
is there some sort of website or guy on youtube who's hosting some sort of online audio engineering school for free and not just random tutorials?
or is it just through independent learning and messing around with mixer presets?

---------- Post added at 08:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:07 PM ----------

also Nefarious! he's got the heat too forgot too mention him.

mixing is one of those things that takes time, a whole LOT of time.
My mixing is crap. The main thing i learned is layer your drums and mix the levels and eq each drum different. Make sure the frequencies arnt clashing with each other.

Not Fair...LOL

Dude sometimes these young'uns really have a great ear for music!!! Now 9 times outta 10 these dudes have gotten some type of training but there are exceptions!!!

the main thing that frustrates me is how to EQ samples properly, and that's difficult becuase every sample chop sounds different and contains different instruments, am i right?
i should try that though, because i've always put all my drums into the same mixing channel
i heard somewhere that we're supposed to put our bass through the same channel as the drums, is that true?

---------- Post added at 08:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:33 PM ----------

lol sandman i get what your saying
maybe they're just musical prodigies or something

In cases of young prodigy's, they usually have mentors and all kinds of things to make it possibly to be where they are at. In all you can get there too, they aren't always some special case of pro syndrome. You just need to get to the grind and get things going yourself. That's with pretty much with anything.

Last edited:
the main thing that frustrates me is how to EQ samples properly, and that's difficult becuase every sample chop sounds different and contains different instruments, am i right?
i should try that though, because i've always put all my drums into the same mixing channel
i heard somewhere that we're supposed to put our bass through the same channel as the drums, is that true?

fix and route your sounds individually THEN group similar sounds to a track.... that way you have good levels for say: kick, snare, hi hat, toms etc, but they can still be processed together in a separate channel....

as for bass.... i'd separate that too..... i've heard bass levels should match overall levels

I know all about mixing, but my speakers aren't accurate so my mixes end up sounding like shit.

What I can say is this: Put every single little aspect in a different channel. If needed, use group channels / bus tracks to group certain parts together (stem mixing).

Use a spectrum analyzer if your ear isn't good to boost the main frequencies and cut the un-needed ones of each instrument - so they don't clash and make a big f*** mess out of your 800-5khz range. Count every single kick drum as a different instrument with it's own channel, eq, etc.

USE PANNING!!!(!) Pan your project left and right. If it helps, imagine a stage where all of your instrument are playing live. Imagine where they would be (eg, left side of the stage, center, etc) and pan like that. Take a track that's panned center, duplicate it, pan them Left and Right, then compress the original.

Things like that make up a better mix. Be creative with your fx and panning. Also, it's bad to have like a billion tracks. It makes mixing way too difficult. If anything, you should keep it simple.

Go to school homie if your serious.
actually yeah i'm seriously considering it after high school.
one more year and then i'm gonna go apply to sae institute in san francisco before i go to a 4-year college.

Back