After a long day at the record store...

S

sonakasos

What do you guys usually do when you come home with a bunch of records? Do you listen to them all at once or do you only listen to one you want to flip first? I usually listen to them all, even if one has a hot sample that I want to flip, I continue listening until I've listened to all the records to hear what they have, and then I begin picking out what I want from specific finds. Post your routine after a long day at the record store, flea market, thrift store, etc.

Baiscally what you do at home, is what i do at the record shop, I listen to the records there and listen for Ill rare synth loops, once i find 10 or so lp's. I buy em and go home and get busy.

Do you bring a portable turntable or something? I usually judge by the front cover if I don't know anything about the front cover. I just bought 5 records on eBay just by judging on the covers and when they came today, I listened to them all and they all had hot samples.

the record shop i go to has a turntable and headphones in there, so i smoke a joint before i roll in there, and just spend an hour or 2 in there just listening to diff records until i find like 5 or more that i want to sample, then i go buy. once i get to the crib, i start just choppin em up.

First thing I do is clean the record(s). Then I'll chill and listen to em, maybe clean up the house, smoke or have some drinks, whatever. If I hear something I may want to sample sometime I'll take a mental note. After listening I put the record in a new inner sleeve and put a new plastic on the outside. Then I'll file the record in the collection.

Well, I have thousands of records, 2 kids and a wife...so I don't have much time.

When I dig...I have no portable, and I dig for (1) records to sample (2) records to listen to and (3) records to collect.

First of all, I have to smuggle them into the house.

Then I grab my portable and THE RECORDS I INTEND TO SAMPLE and go to the bathroom, take a dump and drop a needle on the joints.

If it's wack, I throw it in my garbage pile. If it's usable, I put em in a crate by my mpc.

If it's one I bought to collect, I open it, clean it and shelve it.

The ones I listen to, I clean 'em and put em on a shelf of records that I listen to. Some examples of my favs to listen to:

mccoy-tyner-extensions-album-cover-55102.jpeg

1257218500_15332-hubert-laws-afro-classic-1970.jpeg

ChicoHamilton_DrumFusion.jpg

shirl2.jpg

james_brown_im_black_and_im_proud.jpg

Last edited:
Right now, I'm in a "diggin' in a specific era" phase right now, and since I don't have a portable turntable yet, I really just shop for things that look interesting; artwork and musicians/performers...

But I'll probably buy maybe 10 records each trip, and I'll go home and probably go through 2 or 3 of them immediately, if I find something to sample I'll grab it. If not, I'll throw them on the shelf and come back in a day or two and try it again with a new 2 or 3 records.

Do you bring a portable turntable or something? I usually judge by the front cover if I don't know anything about the front cover. I just bought 5 records on eBay just by judging on the covers and when they came today, I listened to them all and they all had hot samples.
lol..i do the exact same thing..sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't ha

I go to the record store so much that I have vinyl ive bought months ago that I havent heard yet. I always have a stack of records by my equipment for when Im ready to make something and then i just go through each record one by one. usually ill dig through my collection when im maknig a beat kuz i have a style or vibe in mind. Sometimes its genre based sometimes its era and sometimes its artist just depends. Right now Im in an 80s mood

Off topic, but not too far off the road; how do you guys organize your collections? Now that my collection is getting bigger, I don't want to just have records all mixed up because then it gets confusing. I've seen some people organize by era, genre, etc.

I just have mine filed alphabetically. I have little index cards that each have a letter on them sticking out where a new letter starts. Makes it easier to go right to the M's or T"s or whatever.

I just have mine filed alphabetically. I have little index cards that each have a letter on them sticking out where a new letter starts. Makes it easier to go right to the M's or T"s or whatever.

I like that idea a lot. Do you sort them by artist name or album name in alphabetical order?

It's sorted by artist, then if I have multiple albums from an artist those are in alphabetical order.

Oh I like that a lot, when I get enough records to need a shelf then I'm organize them that way.

mine are only organized by what Ive listened to already. if ive listened to it its on one side of my closet if I have not yet then its on the other side. I just go through the records and once Ive listened to everything Ill just start over but Ive been using this system for 2 years now and I have not gotten to the end of my vinyl yet plus I am still buying new records

I just got back from the record store and bought 15 records for 25% off since it's National Record Store Day.

Hell ya!! Post em up in the Digging Adventure thread so we can see!

I will when I finish listening to them, I want to see what they have first, I don't want to accidentally post a diamond up and not notice it. :rolleyes:

Back